TMD Chain Guide Installation

5 replies to this topic
  • clark4131

Posted July 09, 2005 - 09:29 PM

I'm replacing my stock chain guide since a nice chunk of granite turned it into little more than an aluminum taco, so I've got a TM Designworks replacement en route. With regard to installation, do I have to break the chain to attach it, or is it split down the center?

BTW, if you ever get the feeling that the rear tire is misaligned and seems to want to come around on you, check your chain guide for interference if your axle blocks are trued. I didn't even know it happened, but the impingement on the chain from the guide made the bike feel totally squirrely. I thought I had a problem with my Scotts damper or my forks. Quite bizarre :) ...SC

• Bamster

Posted July 10, 2005 - 04:57 AM

The stock block is split down the center.

• clark4131

Posted July 10, 2005 - 06:35 AM

I know about the stock block, I've already removed it. What I'm asking about is the TM chain guide and whether or not it is split ...SC

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bamster

Posted July 11, 2005 - 04:58 AM

Sorry ,
This is the block in question
Posted Image

I have no idea but I would think it would be built so you don't have to remove the chain to install.
I bought the moose unit
http://store1.yimg.c...o_1853_18711453

The whole unit cost the same as the stock block but replacement block were only 13 bucks
plus you can turn them upside down

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted July 11, 2005 - 06:35 AM

Steve-o, What you need to do is remove the aluminum inserts that hold the thing together, when you do it splits them in half. Once they're in two pieces "sandwich" the chain with the two pieces, then re-install the aluminum inserts and slide the whole unit into place on the mounting tabs on the swingarm. hope this helps...

• clark4131

Posted July 11, 2005 - 06:44 AM

Groovy, thanks Dan :applause: ...SC

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.