TTR-125L chain adjusting

11 replies to this topic
  • JoelDub1121

Posted July 08, 2005 - 04:42 PM

[COLOR=Black]hgj[/COLOR] IF you have a TTR-125L can you please tell me what numbers u have the chain tighters on cause i dunno wat number they should be on so the chain is perfect thanks.

• sumterminel

Posted July 08, 2005 - 04:44 PM

when you ride the bike the chain stretches so when it gets to loose you move it up one or two

• foxmotox321

Posted July 08, 2005 - 05:03 PM

Well, you need to get the chain tight enough so it can move up and down about an inch each way. Just make sure both sides are at the same number so your wheel alignment isnt messed up :)

• NEPArider2

Posted July 08, 2005 - 07:38 PM

I'm in the process of adjusting the chain slack as well. I've had my bike for just over 2 weeks (about 15 hours riding time) and the chain has stretched. The owners guide says 1.4-2 inches of play and mines pushin 2 if not a little over. While trying to adjust the slack as well as just about any other adjustments i've noticed the nuts and bolts strip rediculously easily. That has been my #1 complaint with the bike so far; i'm scarred to touch anything with the fear i'll never be able to re-tighten it again.

• foxmotox321

Posted July 09, 2005 - 06:43 AM

^^^ make sure you dont make it too loose! That chain can fly off before you know it :) Mine fell off a few weeks after I bought the bike and broke the guide thingy on top of the swingarm and bent the area where it connected to(two metal pieces sticking up). :)

• rob125

Posted July 09, 2005 - 08:50 AM

Ive got the O ring-chain but theres about 3 extra linkages on it :)

so mine is as tight as it will go on the adjuster. I'm gonna take about 3 linkages out but i just have to get around to it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yamahafreak3

Posted July 17, 2005 - 04:04 PM

the 125s stock chain is horrible...i got a o-ring and just took links out until it fit properly. buy an o-ring... they shift so much more responsivly

• MMotohead

Posted July 17, 2005 - 09:02 PM

Do not put an Oring chain on a 12 horsepower bike. Put a DID ER type of chain.

Posted July 17, 2005 - 09:09 PM

Well, you need to get the chain tight enough so it can move up and down about an inch each way. Just make sure both sides are at the same number so your wheel alignment isnt messed up :eek:

Don't you sit on the bike, move the chain up and down, and make sure it can move 1/2-3/4 of an inch? :applause:

• ovrrdrive

Posted July 18, 2005 - 12:57 AM

While trying to adjust the slack as well as just about any other adjustments i've noticed the nuts and bolts strip rediculously easily. That has been my #1 complaint with the bike so far; i'm scarred to touch anything with the fear i'll never be able to re-tighten it again.

Make sure you use a good quality tool set on the bike and ONLY use 6 point sockets on the bolts.

If you use a cheap off-brand 12 point socket set I can guarantee you will strip more nuts than you get to come off the bike. If you're using 12 point sockets, open-end wrenches and pliers, I can understand why you're having some problems.

As for the nuts and bolts where you need to use an open-end wrench on, if you have already partially stripped off the heads, you can get special wrenches that will grab better so you don't finish them off.

Look for something like this...

Posted Image

Posted July 18, 2005 - 07:52 AM

Exactly..Use the right tools correctly and you most likely won't have that problem.

• rob125

Posted July 18, 2005 - 08:01 AM

i agree with ovrrdrive.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.