Battery Questions

13 replies to this topic
  • pcath

Posted July 08, 2005 - 06:21 AM

The battery in my '04 WR 450f has a very hard time starting the bike. It cranks for about a second and then just clicks. I have heard of Battery Tenders and batteries that have more cranking amps, but I am not sure which is the right way to go.

I have done a search, but have not found a satisfactory answer. I was at the track last week and a number of people said how much they wanted a magic button. I had to smile as I began to kick start the bike.

I need help!

• mudbum

Posted July 08, 2005 - 08:10 AM

I might have a answer for you on that clicking noise. I have 2003 model and have had lots of starter problems. I thought that clicking nise was the battery. But after recharging I found no improvments. I pulled the starter apart and found the the copper plates at the base of the electric motors windings get pitted from electrical burns and stuffs the contact with the bushes. I suggest you pull it apart and clean the guts of the starter motor, and use an electrical tester to check that the comutator plates are contacting the windings in the motor.

See how you go.

• waterdog3

Posted July 08, 2005 - 01:49 PM

I have the same problem on my 04 450. i did the "blue" wire mod. and that helped a lot. Auto Zone carries a battery that is not an exact match, but will fit, it has over twice the cold cranking amps of the stock battery. price around $60.00.

• Asgeir

Posted July 08, 2005 - 03:19 PM

I bought mine WR450 04 last december and had never been happy with the starting, only 3 to 4 turns and then no more start. I could only start it hot with compression release.

Last week I tried to charge the battery but it would not take any AMPS so I went to the Yamaha Dealer which after some talk agreed to claim the battery.

Some difference, WOW, I participated in a Endurance event last Saturday and constantly kept stalling the motor (I am not an experienced driver) and all the time used the "e" button and worked like a charm. Now I can even start it cold.

It shows that the bike never had the battery in full working order from purchase date.

So, check the battery. They can seem OK, but then not be so Good.

• 450high

Posted July 09, 2005 - 02:14 AM

I also had the same problem reciantly.I do use the ( battery fighter ) tender. I got the battery checked and it was o.k , but it was like a flat battery.I pulled the starter and found the brush end metal bearing was sloppy.Yamaha don't supply the part , but the can sell you an entire starter motor which cost $450 aus. I went to a bearing shop and they sold me a new bearing for $2.90 it was not the correct size but a friend turned it down in a lathe.To get the old one out screw a thread tap or bolt through it to push against the end cheeck and push it out.I also put a new set of brushes in $26.I really thought i was going to have to buy a starter so have benn kicking it for a couple of months.

• xcracer123

Posted July 09, 2005 - 05:58 PM

My 04 had a faulty battery that was replaced under warranty. Seems they had a bad run of batteries that were shorting themselves out and wouldn't hold a charge. My dealer replaced it and I haven't had a lick of problems with it since.

It will also make the clicking noise when the battery is too low to crank the starter properly. Hope this helps!

• pcath

Posted July 10, 2005 - 01:24 PM

Thanks for the help guys, I am just going to bite the bullet and go to Auto Zone and pick up the new battery waterdog suggested.

Waterdog, do you have any more info on it like a part number or anything?

Thanks again.

Phil

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flatnacker

Posted July 10, 2005 - 03:13 PM

I might have a answer for you on that clicking noise. I have 2003 model and have had lots of starter problems. I thought that clicking nise was the battery. But after recharging I found no improvments. I pulled the starter apart and found the the copper plates at the base of the electric motors windings get pitted from electrical burns and stuffs the contact with the bushes. I suggest you pull it apart and clean the guts of the starter motor, and use an electrical tester to check that the comutator plates are contacting the windings in the motor.

See how you go.

I have the exact same problem-the starter just 'ticks' soo has anyone else that has had this problem found it to be the battery, or the copper plates as desrcibed above? Ive just been kicking it :)

• waterdog3

Posted July 10, 2005 - 05:06 PM

not all of the auto zones carry the battery. i live in a small town, they do not carry it, a town about 40 miles from me has it. i will check for a part # for you and "pm" you.

• duke2au

Posted October 04, 2005 - 08:24 PM

yep, Im clicking here too. I have an 03, so I am going to pull it down tonight. I will let you know if its the copper, brushes, or bearing.... motor... battery hmm what else could it be?
Ill take some pics.

• tvawr450

Posted October 04, 2005 - 08:33 PM

Yea, i just finished pulling my starter out on my 03 it was just clicking also,
pulled the starter apart and its toast, looks like the commutater bars made contact the magnets every things NFG. i''ve already had the armature rewound once and new brushes,.. oh well i geuss i'm kicking it now.

Todd :banghead:

• Indy_WR450

Posted October 05, 2005 - 03:18 AM

My starter motor finally wore out a few weeks ago. $210. to replace it. Takes only 30 minutes to replace. My starter was starting to click only on occasion for the last year and it finally got so bad it would not turn over a cold engine. :banghead:

• duke2au

Posted October 05, 2005 - 02:01 PM

I pulled down the starter last night.. here is what i found. What are your opinions?

http://bensville.cus....au/WR/starter/

• RichBaker

Posted October 05, 2005 - 02:45 PM

Commutator is burned, needs sanding to clean it up. Everything is covered in brush dust and needs cleaning, could prob'ly use new brushes and bearing/bushing...the grooves in between commutator segments should be cleaned too.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.