YZ tank not fitting

7 replies to this topic
  • 02WR426Cali

Posted July 08, 2005 - 05:25 AM

I just bought a Clarke YZ 426 tank for my 02 wr426 and it's not fitting like they said it would. THe radiator shrouds do not line up. I looked up the part numbers for the wr and yz shrouds and they are the same, so what's the deal? has anyone else put a yz tank on their wr, did you have any problems?

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted July 08, 2005 - 06:46 AM

My YZ tank bolted straight on to my '02 WR426. The only thing I can think of, is that earlier YZ/WR's have slightly different shrouds. The bottom bolt hole is at a different angle. Is this the problem? If you have a tank for an '01-'02, and matching year shrouds, it should all work. It sounds like either the tank or shrouds could be from an earlier model. :)

• 02WR426Cali

Posted July 08, 2005 - 09:17 AM

My shrouds are from my bike which is an 02. I looked up the part numbers and the yz and wr are the same. I bought the tank from clarke mfg. and the tank is for a 98-02. But that is the exact problem I am having, the bottom holes on the tank will not line up. The left side actually lined up because I crashed one time and the left radiator got slightly bent, so it actually helped that it was bent. The right side is straight and it doesn't line up.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted July 08, 2005 - 09:39 AM

You need the YZ shrouds.... :) Oh, and if I remember correctly you'll need the YZ seat too....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Vibeguy

Posted July 08, 2005 - 09:45 AM

I picked up a used (2002) YZ250f seat and tank and they bolted right up to my 2002 WR. They were stock Yamaha stuff, not Clarke.

• 02WR426Cali

Posted July 08, 2005 - 01:16 PM

No I don't need the yz shrouds. I obviously already have a yz seat as that was not part of my question above. I got it to fit just fine, I just kept every bolt loose until I had them all started and then tightened them all. I was just used to the stock tank because with that tank I could tighten every bolt individually and I figured the new tank would be the same way. I was wrong and feel like an idiot, but hey, it's mounted now! Thanks for the ideas anyway.

• Hamish

Posted July 09, 2005 - 01:26 AM

I just kept every bolt loose until I had them all started and then tightened them all.

This is a good practice to do on your bikes to all components.

• 02WR426Cali

Posted July 09, 2005 - 07:04 AM

This is a good practice to do on your bikes to all components.

I've always done it on everything except for the tank, because my stock tank would always line up perfectly and I never had any problems. But I always do it on any engine, suspension, brake, etc. components.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.