XR675L!!! Oh yeah!

15 replies to this topic
  • Rover31

Posted July 07, 2005 - 09:47 PM

Got the XR675L back today! I am gonna love this once it is broken in!
Lots more power! The front wheel comes right up.
Thanks to all who gave help with suggestions/comments! Get this mod done!

So now it's a XR650l with 10.25:1 Wiesco, HotCam, 41FCR kehien carb, FMF power bomb Q pipe, and lots of suspension mods (they are the best to start with BTW) oh and many other trick bits.
Thanks
Travis

• BWB63

Posted July 07, 2005 - 09:53 PM

Sounds like a 50hp fire breathing monster!!! After you get 300+ miles on it have it dyno'd :) What carburetor are you running?

Now you have to remember, don't ride faster then your Angels can fly! With this setup that can happen!

Most Dyno place's charge $25

I would like to put your dyno charts on my web site with a list of your mod's on your "L"

http://www.borynack..../dynocharts.htm

• captb

Posted July 08, 2005 - 12:29 AM

Should be a ripper, I wanted to pump up my L but it ran to good to take apart.

• Rover31

Posted July 08, 2005 - 05:38 AM

Should be a ripper, I wanted to pump up my L but it ran to good to take apart.

My ran great also but.. more power it's very nice!
Travis

Carb
It has a 41 FCR Kehein pumper.

• zackm58941

Posted July 08, 2005 - 10:49 AM

Awesome to see another 675!!! I have a question for you and I dont mean to mess up your thread, do you know what main jet you new carb is running? The reason I ask is b/c I am still trying to tune my bike after all the stuff I did to it and at 7 bucks a jet, I dont wanna keep getting them for nothing. I have a 165DJ in right now and under high load WOT it coughs a bit then clears up when i back off the throttle. What would the next step up be, a Kiehin 168 170?? Again, sorry for interupting but I had to ask. Thanks!!!!

Zack

• Rover31

Posted July 08, 2005 - 06:47 PM

In my emails with James Dean he suggested I start with a 170 Kehein.
I know you have spent money on the DJ jets but I would ditch them and stick with the standard jets. No offense but how many tuners use the DJ stuff. Not any that I have heard, but I could be wrong. If you really want to get techy get a flow meter the stock jets vary in the flow even with the same #s. When I was roadracing we would flow test the jets and pick the 4 closest jets.
Good luck
Travis
BTW don't worry about messing up a thread.

• zodran

Posted July 09, 2005 - 06:56 AM

Cool, I have about the same setup. I did mine about 5 years ago, hard to believe you can get that much power and still run pump gas. :)
I went with a mikuni carb, megacycle cam and big gun exhaust. You might consider stocking up on rear tires, you're going to be changing a few. :)

• zackm58941

Posted July 09, 2005 - 08:41 AM

Thanks guys!!! Yesterday I ordered a 170 and 168 Keihin main jets from Rage Performance.com. tdfox, Ive been wanting to ditch the DJ main jet for a while but I had trouble finding where to get the originals in the sizes i wanted, the dealer wanted me to buy a pack of 4 jets to get what i wanted so... I will eventually get ride of the stock carb and pick a pumper but not sure which one, the keihin, mikuni or the edelbrock. Plus there a bit pricy so maybe this winter I'll get one, maybe sooner. Thanks again everyone!!

Zack

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • justicedone

Posted July 09, 2005 - 09:01 AM

This sounds pretty fun, once my engine gets tired... I will go extreme like you guys. I have seen a 730cc kit though, so I might be tempted to go all out on the "Big Dog" set-up :)

But with 2,000mi I am hoping it wont be for a long time, then I will also add a head pipe and hot-cam.

• BWB63

Posted July 09, 2005 - 09:36 AM

This sounds pretty fun, once my engine gets tired... I will go extreme like you guys. I have seen a 730cc kit though, so I might be tempted to go all out on the "Big Dog" set-up :)

But with 2,000mi I am hoping it wont be for a long time, then I will also add a head pipe and hot-cam.

Remember that if you go hog wild, you'll put a lot of stress on the crank. Both the "L" & "R" cranks were designed for about the weight and stress of a 4" piston and a 4" stroke at 9,000 rpm at some point you start losing reliability. The 680 "R" and the 675 "L" both stay under the design limits of what the bike was made to handle. One of the reasons I have stayed away from a new CDI that lets the bike rev higher. 8,200 rpm seems to be keep the bike on the safe side. I have heard that the crank can handle 70bhp (at the crank 56~58hp at the rear wheel) with no problems. Now running a 710 or 730cc engine; that is not taken to the rev limiter or push to it's limit, - not much of the extra stress would be seen. More is always better intill it brakes. I wish I would have payed the extra and had my crank machine balanced. That helps. The engine I have this time seems to be balanced real well. Having some of the extras help as well. Like a Carrillo rod, (with the bigger xr600 rod bearing), HRC timing chain, S/S Valves, and heavy duty valve springs.

The nice thing about the 680 & 675 is that they are prooven at great stress for extended time.

With the low miles you have you could stay stock bore, real light hone and go with a 10.25:1 piston and a cam, change the carburetor and have a fire breathing squealer. You wouldn't have to get into the bottom end.

• justicedone

Posted July 09, 2005 - 03:11 PM

My bike has plenty balls for me right now, with all the mods I have done. So I aint messing with it till it breaks, if ever. I would rather ride the piss out of her for 5-6 years then go to a CBR1000rr, like I came from. Its fun to change gears every few years.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted July 10, 2005 - 08:36 PM

u mean you didnt go 750? i would have. 750 is a major power increase and its needed. just dont ride it to hard.....take out all the metal and its liable to blow after a bit but the cooling rings on an l usually add major strength for high pressure unlike the water cooled r junk/

• ghoti

Posted July 15, 2005 - 07:04 AM

Hey Travis,
How is the gas milege? What gearing and rear tire size are you running?

• roadcam

Posted July 15, 2005 - 01:48 PM

u mean you didnt go 750? i would have. 750 is a major power increase and its needed. just dont ride it to hard.....take out all the metal and its liable to blow after a bit but the cooling rings on an l usually add major strength for high pressure unlike the water cooled r junk/

whatdaf*** ? :applause:

• BWB63

Posted July 15, 2005 - 03:19 PM

whatdaf*** ? :applause:

He gets bored easy. He is a funny little troll. You'll learn that he is harmless and his goal is to bring chear to the group.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted July 16, 2005 - 12:30 PM

troll? i am no troll, i am 6'1'' and 190 pounds!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.