Removing the Grey wire on a 05 WR450F.

10 replies to this topic
  • Al Curtis

Posted July 07, 2005 - 01:27 PM

I bought an 05 WR450F a couple of weeks ago, WOW, Big change from an (nobody laugh now) 83 XR350. I had the dealer take out the throttle stop and change the pipe tip. I will be re-jetting and removing the AIS. Can anyone tell me how removing the Grey wire will affect the performance, I know it changes the timing to that of the YZ but, is it going to be noticeable? Can I change it back or does it change it permanently.

• WGP

Posted July 07, 2005 - 02:23 PM

Do a search, us who bought this bike right when it came out already busted this topic :)

• byggd

Posted July 07, 2005 - 03:37 PM

Below 1/2 throttle you won't notice a difference IMO. After 1/2 throttle the TPS sends a signal and the timing stops advancing and retards some (15 degrees I think I read). Some people put a toggle switch on the grey wire so they can switch between wr and yz timing but from what I understand you have to shut the bike off for it to take effect.

• Texas4play

Posted July 07, 2005 - 03:52 PM

I unplugged mine and never looked back ...

• Dodjy

Posted July 07, 2005 - 06:44 PM

Does anyone know if you can do this mod on the Aussie bikes?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Al Curtis

Posted July 07, 2005 - 07:24 PM

Thanks guys, I'll try it, and I like the toggle switch idea.

• Al Curtis

Posted July 07, 2005 - 07:41 PM

Sorry I'm new at this,how do I do a search on passed talks?

• Matty05

Posted July 08, 2005 - 02:25 AM

Does anyone know if you can do this mod on the Aussie bikes?

Only '05 450's I think from what I have read. I have did the mod and I don't know if it has did anything. :)

• byggd

Posted July 08, 2005 - 04:19 AM

Sorry I'm new at this,how do I do a search on passed talks?

Go all the way to the top right and click search. You can search by key phrase, room, date etc :)

• Al Curtis

Posted July 08, 2005 - 06:12 AM

Thanks.

• alfa

Posted July 08, 2005 - 01:38 PM

You will notice a difference in the higher rpm range. Yes you can put it back. I read somewhere that you should not pull the grey wire out of it's boot beacuse it will mess up the water proff seal for the other wires on that connector. I cut the wire about half way so I can splice it back together it I wanted to. But I don't.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.