2001 wr426 5th gear spiking

29 replies to this topic
  • Rabz04Xr650R

Posted May 01, 2013 - 01:46 AM

7 years later I sold my xr650r to go to a lighter wr450. And as pissed as you might have been, I AM... Brought a new bike (wr450) test road it on the short street. Should have road it on the highway lol.... Same symptoms. @ first I thought oh &%$#@! my clutch is slipping.. Few more test like 4th gear full pinned. No slip. front wheel peeling back. change to 5th, its like slip, grab, Oh maybe im low on fuel. put her on reserve. Still same issue.... Cant get it to slip in 5th @ low rmp load. soon as u hit 80kmish its like slip grab slip grab. Guess im dealing with what so many have dealt with before me.. Engine out, splitting the case... omg. so mad.. bikes 1 week old to me... MAD MAD MAD enjoy my rant..... Lucky im a diesel fitter with a workshop, but the wrench time sigh. :( I was already regretting the downgrade from the BRP I swear im going back to the 650..

• miweber929

Posted May 01, 2013 - 04:28 AM

7 years later I sold my xr650r to go to a lighter wr450. And as pissed as you might have been, I AM... Brought a new bike (wr450) test road it on the short street. Should have road it on the highway lol.... Same symptoms. @ first I thought oh &%$#@! my clutch is slipping.. Few more test like 4th gear full pinned. No slip. front wheel peeling back. change to 5th, its like slip, grab, Oh maybe im low on fuel. put her on reserve. Still same issue.... Cant get it to slip in 5th @ low rmp load. soon as u hit 80kmish its like slip grab slip grab. Guess im dealing with what so many have dealt with before me.. Engine out, splitting the case... omg. so mad.. bikes 1 week old to me... MAD MAD MAD enjoy my rant..... Lucky im a diesel fitter with a workshop, but the wrench time sigh. :( I was already regretting the downgrade from the BRP I swear im going back to the 650..

As pissed as you are now you'll never regret getting rid of the XR unless you plan to spend serious time at highway or freeway speed, the only place the XR excels over the WR. And if that's the case you should have done more research before buying as its lack of highway skills are well documented!! :)

My XR was fully setup with cams, high compression piston, IMS tank, etc. and the WR is a much better bike for trail riding and general riding until the speeds go above 65 mph. All I do is not travel that fast and enjoy the bike for what it is.

Good luck and happy wrenching. Just keep a positive outlook, you'll have a bike with an engine that you're sure of its health in the end.

Mike

• Yz400fthrashr

Posted November 13, 2015 - 02:53 AM

My 99 yz400f has a stuffed 5th gear too..
All gears are fine but when you click it into 5th it just slips,if you feather it at a low RPM it goes but as soon as you give it a little bit it just slips and revs,any ideas how much it will cost to get it fixed at my local yamaha dealer?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 13, 2015 - 05:50 AM

My 99 yz400f has a stuffed 5th gear too..
All gears are fine but when you click it into 5th it just slips,if you feather it at a low RPM it goes but as soon as you give it a little bit it just slips and revs,any ideas how much it will cost to get it fixed at my local yamaha dealer?

Don't take it to a dealer.

If you must fix it, take it to a 'tuner' shop in your area.

Your motor is very old, and if it were me I would not put any money into it, but part it out and find a nice used 450 instead.

• RiderDeAzul

Posted November 13, 2015 - 07:06 AM

Don't take it to a dealer.

If you must fix it, take it to a 'tuner' shop in your area.

Your motor is very old, and if it were me I would not put any money into it, but part it out and find a nice used 450 instead.

Hey Krannie, I read somewhere about the headlight somehow affecting the fifth gear on the newer 450's, some guy had it turned on, 5th gear would jump in and out, and then he disconnected the light and it worked (according to him). Is this an actual thing, I know my new raptor has a speed sensor in 5th gear, do any of the wr's have this too?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted November 13, 2015 - 08:10 AM

Hey Krannie, I read somewhere about the headlight somehow affecting the fifth gear on the newer 450's, some guy had it turned on, 5th gear would jump in and out, and then he disconnected the light and it worked (according to him). Is this an actual thing, I know my new raptor has a speed sensor in 5th gear, do any of the wr's have this too?

No not an acutal thing.

Not possible.

Your raptor does not have a speed sensor, it has a rev limiter.

• RiderDeAzul

Posted November 13, 2015 - 09:06 AM

No not an acutal thing.

Not possible.

Your raptor does not have a speed sensor, it has a rev limiter.

That's what I figured, sounded kind of stupid when I read it. The raptor has a speed sensor that cuts out your revs once you reach a certain speed in 5th gear, I believe it is like 74 mph

• Damper

Posted January 07, 2016 - 03:57 AM

My 01 426 did fifth so I went high on the front sprocket and low on the back and rode it till it died them sold it.... Wasn't going to fix it because of the inherent problem with the box and 5th

• RiderDeAzul

Posted January 07, 2016 - 07:01 AM

My 01 426 did fifth so I went high on the front sprocket and low on the back and rode it till it died them sold it.... Wasn't going to fix it because of the inherent problem with the box and 5th

I believe that is what I am going to do, or try and sell it now, and buy a 250 2t. I can't really see it hurting anything as long as I stay out of 5th gear, but it is fine when in 5th gear at 1/8 throttle or under, I only ever use 5th when I'm on the road anyways, and that's rare.

• Damper

Posted January 07, 2016 - 08:00 AM

I've been told 5th is dicky in them and it's the road use that does it. The tar/road puts too much stress through the drive train hence why people go with the Cush hub on trail bikes to minimise the shock when changing gears, on the dirt it's not so bad because the rear spins/gives a bit..

Read up on the 426, it seems to be common although now I've got a 06 wr450f I'm a bit more nicer through the gears on the road just incase

Edited by Damper, January 07, 2016 - 08:04 AM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.