oil filter location

7 replies to this topic
  • t_ride16

Posted July 06, 2005 - 06:02 PM

i feel kinda stupid asking this, but i need to know where to locate the oil filter on an 05 yzf 450. I am a 2 stroke guy i just bought this bike about 3 months ago. So i dont know to much about 4 strokes. And the dealer forgot to give me the book, so i would appreciate any help.

• mxis4me

Posted July 06, 2005 - 06:14 PM

itll be on the right side in front of the clutch cover . 3 bolts hold it on, 2 of them will be 8 mm and the other bolt is a 5mm allen head . hope this helps.

• t_ride16

Posted July 06, 2005 - 06:19 PM

Man thanks for your help. I have another ? for you. I notice when i ride a whellie, oil will come from the tube that comes out of the top of the head. is it like an overflow tube or what.

• grayracer513

Posted July 07, 2005 - 07:58 AM

Use the procedure here for an '03 model 250F:

http://www.thumperfa.../oil_change.htm

It's the same as your bike. Note that the frame oil strainer does not have to be checked with each oil change.

The filter should be replaced with every oil change, and the oil change changed at least every 10 hours. Why haven't you done this in 3 months?

The large vent hose in the top of the cam box it the crankcase breather. It's normal for a few drops to fall from this hose after a ride.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jetsprint2

Posted July 07, 2005 - 11:12 AM

I think changing the filter with every oil change is a bit of an overkill. It will not hurt but man that is a lot of filters. I change my filter every other oil change. The manual does not call for a filter for every oil change. It is all personal preference. :)

• Dunlop

Posted July 07, 2005 - 11:20 AM

On the KTM when I change the oil it tells you to lay it over and fill the inside of the oil filter housings? with oil ( for dry starts or what ?) why don't you need to do that for the Yamaha's? Steve.

• grayracer513

Posted July 07, 2005 - 02:12 PM

I think changing the filter with every oil change is a bit of an overkill. It will not hurt but man that is a lot of filters. I change my filter every other oil change. The manual does not call for a filter for every oil change. It is all personal preference. :)

It's only one for me. I use a Scotts stainless and clean it everytime. I used to change the filter everytime before I had it though, too. It's your engine, not mine.

On the KTM when I change the oil it tells you to lay it over and fill the inside of the oil filter housings? with oil ( for dry starts or what ?) why don't you need to do that for the Yamaha's? Steve.

It's good sense to do that, but on any YZF from '03 up, the oil tank is dry when you start the engine after an oil change, anyway, because the refill oil goes in the crankcase instead of the oil tank where it belongs. That's something to remember when you light 'er up after an oil change, or when it's been sitting for more than 4-6 days. It also helps you understand the importance of the part in the manual that says "start the engine and run for a few minutes" before draining the oil. It gives it a fresh oiling to survive on when it's restarted afterward.

• Dunlop

Posted July 07, 2005 - 02:45 PM

Thanks GrayRacer like always good information. Steve.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.