anybody think there is going to be proplems in 06

51 replies to this topic
  • old-n-sloow

Posted July 08, 2005 - 07:34 AM

I think one thing that will change is the importance of staying on the oil change schedual. The frame will not be used to release some of the heat from the oil. Our motors may run hotter and require checking and changing the oil more then some (me) are used to doing. The oil will run hotter making it break down faster. The oil quantity may be less also making schedualed maintence very important. I always buy the extended warranty on my bikes for the big problems that may come up with the new bikes. Thanks Mark

The oil in frame/engine difference is a good point. If it does make for higher oil temps then an oil cooler might be a good mod for owners looking for longevity. I think I will invest in an oil temp gauge of some type and compare temps with my brothers 04 YZF450.

• mxmark

Posted July 08, 2005 - 07:46 AM

The oil in frame/engine difference is a good point. If it does make for higher oil temps then an oil cooler might be a good mod for owners looking for longevity. I think I will invest in an oil temp gauge of some type and compare temps with my brothers 04 YZF450.

Yamaha did use a good idea that Porsche started to use years ago when the oil temp became a problem. Porsche started to use an oil squirter that sprays the bottom of the piston to help cool it, and Yamaha uses the same idea on the new 450 motor. I like this idea. Thanks Mark

• olson

Posted July 08, 2005 - 09:22 AM

That's right, and lets not forget all the problems they had with the 2005 alluminum framed yz 125 & 250's. Wait a minute..................... :) :) :D

My buddy hasnt had a damn thing wrong with his05 yz 250 :D

• TimFurryBalls

Posted July 08, 2005 - 09:30 AM

I think it might have turning issues due to the new frame geometry. That seems to be the YZ 250's only minor quirk as well. . .

• MotoGoalie

Posted July 08, 2005 - 09:42 AM

My buddy hasnt had a damn thing wrong with his05 yz 250 :)

Dude, his comment was rhetorical in nature. ie there HAVEN'T BEEN any problems.

One thing that does irritate me with the new box frame. Carb access will be further blocked.

• dunecj2a

Posted July 08, 2005 - 10:01 AM

Yeah well no matter how awsome the 06 YZ is the CRF will still be #1 to Transworld MX I bet. MX Action might give it a nod but you know how much the mags love there Honda's!!!!!!!!!!

• crayztwentyseven

Posted July 08, 2005 - 12:13 PM

Yeah well no matter how awsome the 06 YZ is the CRF will still be #1 to Transworld MX I bet. MX Action might give it a nod but you know how much the mags love there Honda's!!!!!!!!!!

SO TRUE!!

Sometimes I think that those honda guys that give them the bikes might be giving those editors some bj's :) :)

• palmdaleRider

Posted July 08, 2005 - 01:58 PM

Wait till '07. Being first on the block is good for a very short time. Better then that is buying a known bullet proof '06 for 3K less one year later. :)

• Hick

Posted July 08, 2005 - 05:47 PM

What about the 426? Oh.

I assume this is a serious question?

Where to begin?

Substandard metallugry on gearwheels? The ratios were different from the 400, but not all ratios, just 1st and 2nd. Yet gear breakage is not uncommon. I wonder why the 450 is a 4 speed? Oh, right, that is for less shifting for MX (NO SPROCKET CHANGING ALLOWED MAGGOT!). But wait, the '06 is a five speed again. My head hurts...

Also, using a straight key to secure the balancer gear was not a new idea, yet the 400 had no problems w/ this. And yet is not at all uncommon to hear of first year 426 with this problem that, due to excessive engine noise in most cases was found before bad things happened to the bottom end's oil supply, other times.....

The clutch. Oh yes, smoooooooth as butter and perfect in every way, the perfect 400 clutch, no changes please, just add a plate for extra strength. Apparently designed by a retired jack-hammer operator, the '00 clutch also rewarded some lucky owners by completely fragging. At which point these lucky souls had to wait 6 months for a new basket to hit the supply chain.

Oh, yeah, the jetting on the '00 426 was PERFECT. I mean it was SPOT FREAKIN ON! They just changed it for '01 because they found a way to make it EVEN MORE BETTER! No, really.

And finally, the accelerator pump, it squirted enough fuel to bump start a Caterpillar. That was by design, to keep squids and neophytes from hurting themselves by rewarding them w/ 15 fouled plugs per ride. Once they learned to start it, they were rewarded w/ 20 stalls per lap. That'll learn 'em!

Musn't forget the smiley: :)

• Blue4Ever

Posted July 08, 2005 - 07:30 PM

How many 426 owners had these problems? Sounds more like a Thrashed Unit!! Or maybe a Thrash Rider?! Granted Yamaha could do better with the chain and sprockets. As far as jetting, it would be impossable to jet a bike for all buyers in all climates in all elevations. The clutch sounds more like a abuse problem. The only issue the Blue Thumpers had was with the 98 400 and Two Smoke riders breaking the kick started not knowing how to start one!! :) :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dunecj2a

Posted July 08, 2005 - 09:40 PM

SO TRUE!!

Sometimes I think that those honda guys that give them the bikes might be giving those editors some bj's :) :)

Yeah your right 27!!!!!!!! It kinda seems like no matter what Honda comes out on top.

• Hick

Posted July 09, 2005 - 12:09 AM

How many 426 owners had these problems?

I dunno. Do a search, find out for yourself.

Never mind, I was just kidding, it was only me. I subscribed to TTalk using 100+ different user names and created all the posts about jetting, counterbalancer problems, chattery clutches, overzealous accelerator pumps, and fragged gears.

As a result of my efforts alone here on TTalk Yamaha changed the jetting, switched to a splined CB, redesigned the clutch, altered the AP diaphragm, and switched to four wider gear wheels. All because of me. You've caught me.

As far as jetting, it would be impossable to jet a bike for all buyers in all climates in all elevations.

True, but to have jetting that is off for all climates and all elevations takes some work.

The clutch sounds more like a abuse problem.

Really? 90% of '00 426 owners will be surprised to hear this expert opinion of yours. Do a search on "'01 clutch swap" to find a list of all the misguided clutch abusers you reference.

I love Yamahas, and plan to buy an '06, but this idea that they are infallible flies in the face of the very existence of this site, which would not be as popular as it is if there were not all these problems with this bike.

In short, where have you been dude??? :)

• johnmeasures

Posted July 09, 2005 - 01:45 PM

My brand new YZ125 2005 model lasted a total of 4 hrs engine wear before I traded it. It suffered collapsed rear shock, piston fell into exhaust port and digested the cylinder, Yamaha-rebuilt engine seized, clutch release rod broke & shot shrapnel round the crankcase. Yamaha UK were great, they paid the bills. However I have had 2 x YZ250F 2003 & 2004 & no problems. I now have a 2-day old YZ450F, racing for 1st time tomorrow. It sounds amazing and seems to be built like a tank! (Or like a brick sh*thouse as we Northerners say).

• Blue4Ever

Posted July 09, 2005 - 02:47 PM

Hick, Sorry if I hit nerve! I am sure there were issues w/the 00 426, but the amount of posts in this site were not predicated by the issues with the 00 426. As for the chages by the manufatures, most of these come from top racers who have the ability to run there bikes to there very limits! My real point is that Big Blue has had very little trouble w/there units compaired to most of the other manufactures. It just appeared to me that you were beating up on one year of Yamaha when over all they have been the most reliable machines out there. Maybe a more direct response to the orig. post would be that there is always a chance there could be issues with the new 06's but I would venture to say that from Yamaha's track record they will be minimal at most. Is it safe to assume you owned a 426 with these problems? I am sure that even if these bikes were flawless we would still have this forum to share the upgrades, modifications & good ride times!!!

• grayracer513

Posted July 09, 2005 - 02:58 PM

Really? 90% of '00 426 owners will be surprised to hear this...

And yet, when none of these things are corrected, as easily corrected as they are, the bike will run nearly forever, just as it is.
:)

• Hick

Posted July 09, 2005 - 06:25 PM

And yet, when none of these things are corrected, as easily corrected as they are, the bike will run nearly forever, just as it is.

Unfortunately that was not the case w/ my '00. First the straight key got worn, I replaced w/ a factory part thanks to information from this sight in the form of several posts in the "loud noise, sounds like my valvetrain" vein that described the CB key problem. The replacement key then wore out during a race and I almost ruined my bottom end as the lock-tab washer munched the crank oiler in the right half.

Then I lost 4th gear and a shift fork got spit into the crank. All told I replaced basically the entire motor save the mag cover, both shafts, shift cam, valvetrain and all the bolts.

I put a magnetic drain plug in my '01 as soon as I brought it home and after about 150 hours or so found a piece of gear tooth stuck to it. Fourth gear again. Ty Davis used to glue magnets on the inside of his cases. I wonder why he did that?

I don't think Yamaha even makes these parts, but there looked to be some kind of metallurgy issue w/ both fourth gears, the load-bearing faces were all pitted and galled.

Nobody will convince me these problems are not what prompted Yamaha to go w/ 4 wider gears in place of 5 in the YZ 450.

All that being said I loved my 426s, warts and all. Sweet motor and sweeter handling.

• Vibeguy

Posted July 09, 2005 - 09:56 PM

Yamaha did use a good idea that Porsche started to use years ago when the oil temp became a problem. Porsche started to use an oil squirter that sprays the bottom of the piston to help cool it, and Yamaha uses the same idea on the new 450 motor. I like this idea. Thanks Mark

Lycoming has had that on their aircraft engines for 60 years.....which is the only innovative thing they have. :)

• crayztwentyseven

Posted July 09, 2005 - 10:35 PM

BAM!!! You got it right grayracer!. I rode the sh!t out of my 426 and now my mom runs it with a huge flywheel to keep it from stalling :) other than putting on that big flywheel for her No Problems...... none!

• Ga426owner

Posted July 10, 2005 - 05:36 AM

You know, I spend some time on the other boards here asking questions, verifying live data from the tracks I ride on, from my friends on other brand bikes...(because I want to buy a new 06 something) and I have to say that Yamaha has and will most likely continue to have the most reliable, least maintenance, least catastrohic failures in their engines compared to the Hondas and the Suzukis.
The funny thing is on those boards is this - they try to convince me of the following:
1. there are bad apples in every bunch....or the lemon factor applies - but not on every owners bike - "certainly not mine - it is the best" sorry your is a POS!
2. More maintenance of certain parts that are not suppose to break is the better way - so it is better to spend more time being a mechanic than a rider - 4strokes are made to be more maintenance (which is the case compared to 2smokes - and I agree)
3. "I have so much money invested in my bike that it is bullet proof"...until the one day that it detonates - then it is real costly to repair
4.Any other excuse, justification and ilogical explanation for why their brand is the best...the mags vote it bike of the year..or whatever...

Now I am not implying that the Yamaha is the best bike out there - as I have had my share of issues....which I have shared over the years on this and the WR side.........
But what I will tell you is this - I always was a Honda rider - and Honda has a great product...expecially to todays standards - I have been riding since I was 6 - I am now 43
But after owning 5 4stroke Yam's since 1999 (coming out of 2smoke land) - I have found that in my case of racing sometimes every week as well as weekend warrior riding for fun that I have not had any motor failures, no valve failures, no cam tensioner or cam chain failures, no transmission failures, and no electronic failures. So maybe I am lucky that I never "bought that lemon" some others have experienced. I ride my bikes hard but not to the point the rev limiters are maxed out for any extended periods of time. I change the oil religiously. I maintain the the bike as per the suggested manufacturer recommendations. Now I probably just jinxed myself !!! (as at anyime murphys law comes into place)

I think that every bike today for 06 is a possible great bike - but if you base time and experience on possible reliability and problems there is no doubt that Yamaha is completely ahead of everyone else in this dept...with the changes in the frame, the new motor, the SSS forks the Yamaha will be a great bike - but beware that every 1st year production bike does have a chance of some kind of problem that always gets fixed the 2nd year - I believe Yam will have the least of this - but that is a guess...and when I buy my 06...I will let everyone here know what the good, the bad and the ugly is.......... :)

• CHEEZE13

Posted July 10, 2005 - 07:24 AM

Re: anybody think it will rain today in florida, MY GOD WHAT A QUESTION! This has to be the most retarded thread I have ever read! Some of us either never took Physics one in college or never went. THINGS TEND TOWARDS CHAOS! First rule of thermodynamics, nothing is perfect things will inadvertently have problems, however whether you do or I do is dodo, it is purely a matter of probabilty. :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.