Ignition goodies

11 replies to this topic
  • MotoBikeMike

Posted July 06, 2005 - 01:40 PM

Hello all, I work for MSD Ignition's and we are looking to expand more into the Power Sports catagories with our product line. As many of you might already know, we are a major manufacturer of ignition products that are used in almost every category of automotive racing as well as many performance street applications. We also manufactur some motorcycle ignition products but these are mostly limited to top level drag race applications. We are looking to expand our product line to include all motorcycle applications (dirt and street) as well as quads. The bottom line is we need product ideas. Basicly anything that involves electronics (Not just ignition products) are what we are interested in. We obviously have some ideas on what we will make but really look forward to outside input from other people who ride. Please take this opportuniy to let us know what kind of electronics products you would like to see. Lets hear your ideas guys.

Thanks
Mike
XR600
ZRX1200
CRF150

• targetdrone

Posted July 07, 2005 - 09:58 PM

Affordable HID lights.

• bootlegger2

Posted July 08, 2005 - 02:59 AM

of course the cdi's and the stators i dont need the 200 watt ones either i dont ever plan on putting 3-4 headlights on my piece, at a reasonable price of course, you can get a stator rewound for 87.00 bucks so why try and sell a replacement for 130.00 :)
a cdi with a few mods would be nice. different timing curves and higher rpms
and a spec sheet to see the improvement and where they will be improved
i hope to see msd in the future in the dirt section of the parts book :)

• x400r

Posted July 08, 2005 - 04:40 AM

something similar to iCAT. but less than $200. like maybe $50-100. cdi box would be good. stator, improved lighting.

• bork

Posted July 08, 2005 - 04:47 AM

Did you try anything to your xr600 ??

• MotoBikeMike

Posted July 08, 2005 - 06:16 AM

I havent done anything to mine yet. It will certainly become an experimental subject at some point. Years ago I tried a Answer Roost Boost (Anyone remember those) on another XR. We cut one open and if I remember correctly it had a total of two components (A resister and a capacitor). When we looked at it on a scope it slightly altered the timing curve. Seat of the pants reality was that you could actually feel a change for the better but it was very subtle. You had to very familiar with you machine to feel the change. We have to be careful to keep if safe but given the capability to make slightly larger timing changes could bring better results. Especially at higher altitudes. We are way early into this project though, and have a lot of experimenting to do.

Mike

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bork

Posted July 09, 2005 - 07:51 AM

Great ! Thanks for the roost boost knowlegde. I was wandering the thing . Keep me informed , I like the idea of possibilities. Only if it is safe and not going to burn a hole thru piston . How do factories map out there curves when making an engine ? Some cars have anti knock sensors and thus correct the timing advance. right ? Does this advance spark to max with conditions including fuel quality ?

• don87xr600

Posted July 09, 2005 - 09:09 AM

of course the cdi's and the stators i dont need the 200 watt ones either i dont ever plan on putting 3-4 headlights on my piece, at a reasonable price of course, you can get a stator rewound for 87.00 bucks so why try and sell a replacement for 130.00 :)
a cdi with a few mods would be nice. different timing curves and higher rpms
and a spec sheet to see the improvement and where they will be improved
i hope to see msd in the future in the dirt section of the parts book :)

Because your $87 rewind doesn't include a rewind of the ignition poles.

• bootlegger2

Posted July 13, 2005 - 04:13 AM

the 87 dollar rewind was for the ignition side of my stator the lighting side was working just fine
my light on mine is just fine i even have a little better light for street use and the stock stator lights it just fine
but everyone riding preferences are so different that i couldnt justify paying extra for something i dont need i do hardly any riding at night i think i have done it only a few times not by choice

• roadcam

Posted July 13, 2005 - 09:12 AM

the 87 dollar rewind was for the ignition side of my stator the lighting side was working just fine
my light on mine is just fine i even have a little better light for street use and the stock stator lights it just fine
but everyone riding preferences are so different that i couldnt justify paying extra for something i dont need i do hardly any riding at night i think i have done it only a few times not by choice

punctuation :applause:

• don87xr600

Posted July 13, 2005 - 02:54 PM

They rewound two poles for $87? I'm in the wrong business!

• bootlegger2

Posted July 17, 2005 - 04:24 AM

well 12 bucks was for shipping there and back. i hope thats not to much to fix the ignition side to be repaired. it had only 73 ohms resistance when i got it back,was way out there when i sent it off. is there anther place that can do this kinda of repair cheaper?

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.