owner had them retime to YZ specs so I
wouldn't have to do it. Well, I really
don't like the way this thing is running
so I decided to go back to ground zero.

Here's what the cams looked like when
I took the valve cover off. Am I mistaken,
or did they move the exhaust cam the
wrong way? It even looks like it may
be two teeth counter-clockwise from stock.
http://www.geocities...7/99wr_bck.html

-Ken

[This message has been edited by bender647 (edited 03-04-2001).]

[This message has been edited by bender647 (edited 03-04-2001).]

• John_in_Long_Beach

Posted March 04, 2001 - 04:10 PM

Yes your cam is all messed up. I just took my cam out for valve adjusting and redid the YZ timing so it is fresh in my mind.

Line up on the the timing mark on the crank and have the cam chain taught (maybe put your finger in where the cam tensioner is).

With this done the intake cam punch mark (at 3:00 should be exactly level with the top of the engine case.

The exhaust cam's (for WR timing)punch mark should be at 9:00, also level or inline with the top of the engine case. For YZ timing, you rotate the exhaust cam 1 tooth clockwise, so the punch mark should be one tooth above the engine case.

While it is hard to say exactly what is wrong because your chain is loose, it is my guess that the dealer rotated the cam the wrong way based upon your picture.

• bonez34

Posted March 04, 2001 - 10:20 PM

yes, your timing is retarded and so is the guy that did it!!!!! there are 14 chain pins in between your 12:00 dots. there should be 13 pins at stock wr timing and 12 pins at yz timing. i'm suprised it's running!

[This message has been edited by bonez34 (edited 03-05-2001).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Taffy

Posted March 05, 2001 - 02:59 AM

agree with bonz

two teeth clockwise ASAP

Taffy

• bender647

Posted March 05, 2001 - 05:21 AM

Thanks for the quick feedback guys.

I've put two miles of illegal riding on
the bike. So far, found a cracked throttle
slide, wrong cam timing, and two tight
exhaust valves. Oh, the throttle stop is
completely removed and the bike was retimed
without any change in jetting.

For a dealership that races YZ400's, they
don't seem to be as informed as this
group.

-Ken

• Pyroted

Posted March 05, 2001 - 09:10 AM

Don't feel bad Bender. When I bought my 00 Wr I had the dealer do the exhaust and timing as well as trim the stop. After riding the bike I added 5 plates to my E series trimmed an additional 3mm from the stop and then 6 mo later found that my valve timing was the same as yours. WOW what a difference there is when you go from 1 the wrong way to 1 the right way.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.