426 01-02 interchangeable parts ???

4 replies to this topic
  • Daz_426_02

Posted July 06, 2005 - 09:26 AM

Hello all,
Few questions, firstly i have the 02 model and on the weekend i am going to pick up an 01 for my brother. Are there any major differences between the two models, i know the rear sub-frame is ali on the 02. I have a few sets of plastics are they interchangeable?

Also i have fitted the hotcam to my bike for ease of starting. I have read a few posts about counter balance problems on earlier models ect, is there anything that should be done on the 01 before riding it a bit, apart from the obvious oil and filter change ect...

Any information is much appreciated as always !!! :) :) :D

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted July 06, 2005 - 10:10 AM

Subframe is alum' on the '01 as well, it's just painted blue, not bare silver. Plastics will interchange. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 06, 2005 - 10:18 AM

The '01 and later models of all YZF's have the balancer gear driven by a set of splines, instead of the key used in the '00, so the problem's fixed. The clutch boss nut and the primary drive gear nut have been known to loosen on them occasionally, though, so you should check them in the event of a suspicious noise.

• Daz_426_02

Posted July 06, 2005 - 11:01 AM

Excellent... thanks for the info guys, Much appreciated !! :)

• Satch0922

Posted July 06, 2005 - 04:22 PM

almost everything is interchangable between the 01-02. The 02 does have other differences not listed....but not really that relavent.

"newly remapped ignition for more precise spark - and performance thatís quicker and harder hitting than ever.

Retooled suspension settings deliver smoother, more compliant stroke at both ends, while an all-new, lighter-weight swingarm is both stronger and more rigid.

Greater durability and reduced unsprung weight comes courtesy of a new front wheel hub. A larger, 245mm rear brake disc helps rein in this speed demon with even greater stopping power.

And slightly more forward-positioned handlebar mounts create roomier ergos and a more aggressive riding set-up that allows you to slide forward more easily when attacking corners."

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.