Time for a reality check...

14 replies to this topic
  • mcoulter

Posted July 06, 2005 - 09:00 AM

Hello all,

I've been lurking and occasionally posting here since about January. After a fantastic weekend of riding (ok it was just a Saturday ride but it really was a great...) I'm looking at this board and thinking to myself how easy it is to become caught up in tweaking, modifying, "improving" and otherwise messing around with our WRs. I'm not suggesting anyone ignore maintenance or anything like that, but to a casual observer reading this forum I'm willing to bet they would think these bikes are not very good.

How about taking a break from the tech stuff and talk about what's great about our WRs and what its like where we ride 'em. http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=270991.

I found my bike a perfect match for the trails we were riding (2000 WR400, renthals, pmb insert). The club official I was riding with was really amazed how quiet my bike was with the stock exhaust and PMB insert. It was the 1st day I've ridden these trails and I had forgotten how much fun it is to NOT know what's coming around the next corner or what the view will be like when the trail I'm climbing dumps me into the next hill-top field. (not to mention the slightly disturbing feeling of not knowing where the heck i am...)

Around here (Central New York) there are a ton of ATV clubs and I have to hand it to them - they've done a really good job of building relationships with the landowners and other groups like www.TrailPass.com. Anyways work beckons me again and I hope this might add a bit more color to this rather "blue" forum...

:)

• byggd

Posted July 06, 2005 - 10:29 AM

mcoulter

You have to remember that a lot of these guys race and just want to squeeze every ounce of advantage they can out of the blue thumpers. I do agree with you in that it way to easy to get caught up in all the "mods" and that all you need to do is let them breath a bit better than stock and they are great all around bikes. :)

• AkRider

Posted July 06, 2005 - 04:29 PM

It's just fun to play with all the mods and get to know your bike. Plus what else are you going to do when you can't ride all the time.

• Matty05

Posted July 06, 2005 - 06:18 PM

If you are always stripping your bike down for maintenance, why not add something special to make you stand out from the crowd?

Not knocking you but bikes are not made to be left standard.

• Indy_WR450

Posted July 06, 2005 - 06:37 PM

If you are always stripping your bike down for maintenance, why not add something special to make you stand out from the crowd?

Not knocking you but bikes are not made to be left standard.

[COLOR=Sienna]You sound like you need to keep your stock throttle stop in. [/COLOR] :)

• wr429j

Posted July 06, 2005 - 08:28 PM

Tweaking just kind of grows on some people

:) :) :D

• Matty05

Posted July 06, 2005 - 09:29 PM

[COLOR=Sienna]You sound like you need to keep your stock throttle stop in. [/COLOR] :)

Yeah right!!!!!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Texas4play

Posted July 07, 2005 - 06:00 AM

What's a throttle stop???

Stock anything sucks ... doesn't matter if it's a 50 or a 650, they all need tweaking. My bikes, watercraft, cars, trucks, even my lawn mowers require some sort of tweaking ... is that a bad thing? I dunno ... but, it's reality.

• Conan_'dale

Posted July 07, 2005 - 11:09 AM

I can't give up my "Tim the Tool Man Tailor" attitude... Tweak and mod until it explodes... :)

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted July 07, 2005 - 02:34 PM

I like to tweak on my bike just for fun.. I love to read everyone's findings. Just a hobby of mine. I think it's so cool to talk to people all around the world about one silly bike... :)

• Indy_WR450

Posted July 07, 2005 - 04:02 PM

I like to tweak on my bike just for fun.. I love to read everyone's findings. Just a hobby of mine. I think it's so cool to talk to people all around the world about one silly bike... :)

:) :D :D :D :D :D :worthy:

Thats what makes TT so cool! :D ;) :D

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted July 07, 2005 - 04:05 PM

• RCannon

Posted July 08, 2005 - 04:28 AM

Yes, we have a winner! I agree 100%. Sometimes it helps, othertimes it does not. But it is always better than watching TV!

• byggd

Posted July 08, 2005 - 06:41 AM

Yes, we have a winner! I agree 100%. Sometimes it helps, othertimes it does not. But it is always better than watching TV!

:) :) :D

• TwoBobRob

Posted July 08, 2005 - 12:49 PM

I can't give up my "Tim the Tool Man Tailor" attitude... Tweak and mod until it explodes... :)

:D :D :D :D :D :worthy: :D

HA HA !!!! I used to love that show!

My WR is basically stock on the inside. I like to think it's more important to have the thing running correctly and cleanly than have a bundle of trick bits bolted onto an old nail, if you get my drift.

NOT (I hasten to add) that I'm calling any of your rides 'old nails'.... ;)

That and the fact I don't have the ability to use all of the stock power anyways :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.