Spark Plug Appearance

17 replies to this topic
  • MotoGoalie

Posted July 06, 2005 - 06:53 AM

My 03 is used. I have some idea of the previous owners maintenance schedule.

I have the bike jetted perfectly. It does nothing funny and sounds fine. It starts 1 or 2 kicks hot or cold.

My last few rides have been following XRs around the mountains so its ranged from putting around to WFO down jeep roads for 15 minutes or more.

My plug is a bit black and sooty. The tip is light brownish deep inside it but the top threaded area is black.

Is this normal or do I have an oil blowby problem?

• Cisco5311

Posted July 06, 2005 - 07:00 PM

Sounds like your good to go. Mine are always all black and sooty, but i'm running it a little rich. I wouldn't worry about it.

• DigilubeJay

Posted March 04, 2006 - 02:42 AM

I have the bike jetted perfectly.

How could you possibly know this? :thumbsup:

I suggest you study up on jetting procedure and effect. If you do, you would understand what you were looking at when you had the plug out.

A hint...the asthetic condition of the plug will tell you very little unless you do a proper throttle chop, during a loaded run in the upper range (3/4-WFO) of the circuit.

• 426_Texan

Posted March 04, 2006 - 02:58 AM

Why are you digging up such old posts?
Just curious.

• grayracer513

Posted March 04, 2006 - 06:25 PM

Because he has an axe to grind.

• aford541

Posted March 04, 2006 - 06:40 PM

How could you possibly know this? :thumbsup:

I suggest you study up on jetting procedure and effect. If you do, you would understand what you were looking at when you had the plug out.

A hint...the asthetic condition of the plug will tell you very little unless you do a proper throttle chop, during a loaded run in the upper range (3/4-WFO) of the circuit.

My bike is jetted perfectly also.

• DigilubeJay

Posted March 05, 2006 - 02:41 AM

grayracer, I thought you were supposed to be the know-all on 4t engines?

I would have thought with your omnipotence here, you would have addessed this issue long ago. But, either you didn't feel the guy needed any assistance, or you didn't have anything to offer in the way of advise.

Since I read this and found it obvious that motogoalie is lost on jetting issues, I offered up a bit of advise and assistance. You have a problem with me providing that? Or do you contend that my information is bad?
Spit it out...what exactly is the problem, and how does it concern you?

• MotoGoalie

Posted March 06, 2006 - 07:18 AM

grayracer, I thought you were supposed to be the know-all on 4t engines?

I would have thought with your omnipotence here, you would have addessed this issue long ago. But, either you didn't feel the guy needed any assistance, or you didn't have anything to offer in the way of advise.

Since I read this and found it obvious that motogoalie is lost on jetting issues, I offered up a bit of advise and assistance. You have a problem with me providing that? Or do you contend that my information is bad?

Say Digital.

Would you like me to have you Gitch slapped for another week again?

My bike is perfectly jetted for MY seat of the pants dynometer. That's all that counts. Now quit trying to mess up our forum.

• grayracer513

Posted March 06, 2006 - 09:59 AM

OK. It's simple really. You let your well known and documented animosity toward Motogoalie lead you to clutter up an otherwise useful listing of jetting baselines with what is nothing more than a transparent slam at him, disguised, thinly, as useful information:

http://www.thumperta...601#post2919601

...and your reply to this thread simply continues along the same vein; a hunt for ways to throw dung at him.

You have, at the core, a valid point; baselines obtained by duplicating the jetting in use on another motorcycle are not, in the strictest sense, directly transferable to another unit, no matter how similar the bike or its environment.

However, there is no denying the usefulness of a "database" such as this to someone who is trying to find a starting point from which to work with a bike that seems well out of the ball park. One can look through the list, find the bikes that match up with the environmental parameters similar to his own, find an average, and go from there. And the truth is that in a great many cases, however far from the stoichiometric ideal that might be, what he starts out with by using this method will very likely be close enough to right to work pretty damn well, given the tolerance four-strokes have for fuel mixture.

If you wanted to make your point, which, as I have already said, has its merits, why would you not have had the class to have posted a new thread in order to do so? Certainly, it's a subject worthy of discussion, but just as certainly, the "database" of jetting configurations in use by the members here is also useful, and much more so absent a lot of extraneous pontificating on the technical pitfalls of over-dependence on such information.

The vendetta angle becomes even more obvious in that you appear to have gone looking for something to ding MG about with the response to the spark plug thread eight full months after the last previous response. Less obvious is the harassing PM you sent to him (yeah, I know about that). As for me, I can't tell you now exactly what I was up to on the 6th of July last year, so I don't know why I didn't reply to the question. Sorry about that. Furthermore, in this response, you lead off with, "How could you possibly know this?" My question to you is, what possible, actual, factual evidence do you have that he doesn't know that? He's in Colorado, and you aren't. The fact is that you don't like him because he's stood up to you in the past and had the temerity to call a spade a shovel. I hate to point this out to you, but when you make it a practice to be as arrogant, condescending, and abrasive as you generally are, your overall popularity will suffer for it.

So, I suggest that you step up a notch, pull your posts from the "Jetting Specs" sticky to reduce the clutter, and repost your original points again in a new thread, where it can be better appreciated without the negativity. As for the fact that you and MG don't like each other, I can't help you with that, but I really don't like it when you find it necessary to splatter your animosities around the forum and diminish the usefulness of what was intended to be a resource for everyone. That's how the problem concerns me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted March 06, 2006 - 10:19 AM

He is sending harrassing PM's? I think the moderator should send him packing.

• DigilubeJay

Posted March 06, 2006 - 02:06 PM

What, you didn't appreciate someone helping you out with your problem, Motogoalie?

If you read back through this post you will find that help is exactly what you got. Lots of wasted ASCII in this thread, but about the only real help, that was on topic, was my reply.
Some find it odd that everyone doesn't sit by the monitor waiting for the next chance to bloviate. Sorry it took me so long.

Talk about axes to grind....LOL you guys are funny. That's funny "ha ha" in case you misinterpret that as a threatening personal attack. (shaking head)

Always dry your crying towels out...they make great oil wipes. :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted March 06, 2006 - 06:11 PM

How exquisitely like you. Completely dodged each question put to you on the subject.

So, now I'll add another one: Can you describe how this response to an 8 month old post would be of help to the original questioner, even if the thread were current, and what makes you think that he would still have the same question after so long a time had passed?

• Nalgene

Posted March 06, 2006 - 06:30 PM

Posted Image

• DigilubeJay

Posted March 07, 2006 - 03:51 AM

I don't have much hope of the original poster collecting and retaining much in the way of good information of any sort.

But perhaps there are others reading this board...
Others who are really looking for good information...
Others who only recently arrived here.

Do you disagree with the information I provided? Do you have anything pertinent to add to the conversation? Or, is piling on me when the opportunity presents itself your motivation?

The original poster is now sending me PM's describing how he is going to have me and my useless posts removed from ThumperTalk.
I say, if my posts are useless, and the management of this place deems my presence a detriment to this place, then I say go for it.

For those who are not staff, I suggest you either agree, disagree, or stay in your own little corner and loathe from a distance.

• grayracer513

Posted March 07, 2006 - 11:00 AM

I don't have much hope of the original poster collecting and retaining much in the way of good information of any sort.

See? I told you so.

• MotoGoalie

Posted March 07, 2006 - 11:43 AM

What, you didn't appreciate someone helping you out with your problem, Motogoalie?

Always dry your crying towels out...they make great oil wipes. :thumbsup:

Hey asslube.

This question was answered by myself last summer. What are you going on and on about?

My jetting suggestions for getting close to a good working baseline at high altitude are....

why did you bring this thread up?

Model: 2003 YZ450f
Edit Revision:12/12/05
Timing:
Main Jet: 158
Pilot Jet:38 (edited)
Starter Jet: stock?
Leak: n/a
Fuel screw: Zyp Ty 1 1/2 turns out
Needle: #3 clip ( stock)
Air box: Twin Air and Unis
Pipe/muffler: Stock header, FMF Q (older version)
Altitude: 5700 feet and up to 11k
Temp:current 40-80F
Humidity: 30%

After Edit Satisfaction: Bike runs perfectly now. Lesson learned is that a very rich pilot and a very rich main jet seems to mimick a lean condition. High hanging idle, surging and sometimes hard to start. Except it could foul a plug.

Pre-edit, I'm on the verge of dropping the needle back down, ie placing the clip at the #4 position, back in the middle position to richen it up slightly.

#4 position at 8000 feet and 80'f was horrible, creating a rich bog in the middle and stumbling from 1/4 to 3/4 throttle. Probably because needle richness in conjunction with AP injection. #3 needle clip is best setting

I love the Q by the way. Its sufficiently quiet that you can now hear a lot of engine noise. Man these motors rattle and hum

Degree of statifaction prior to the 38 pj change: bike is g00d,no bog, good throttle response and runs like a striped ape WFO BUT it has a real annoying midrange surge that I cannot cure either with richer or leaner jetting, needle height etc. Sometimes hard to start.

Note: Temp has ranged from 70'f to 95'f recently so everyday its something different. Altitude has ranged from 5700 to 9000 feet.

As of 11-1-05 the current jetting is perfect for my conditions. Italics denote notes prior to finding a good combination of lean needle and pj range.

http://img.photobuck...Flagshroud3.jpg
clarke 2.8, XGX graphics, Utah skid, FMF Q

& my turkeybaster overflow
http://img.photobuck...v...verflowtank

• DigilubeJay

Posted March 07, 2006 - 03:10 PM

Hey asslube.

Would you like me to have you Gitch slapped for another week again?

You know...the PM you got from me did'nt threaten you at all. All I did was promise to point out bad information when you post it.
And yes, I was suspended from activity here as a result.
I conted that the mods should really read some of the crap that gets spewed in here on a daily basis, by malcontents with nothing but malice and punkery on their brains..but I digress...

But to answer you question motogoalie, yes...I say go for it. Have me gitch slapped, or whatever you call it. You obviously have the power, yes?

Man, some of you people are really unbelievable.

• Bryan Bosch

Posted March 07, 2006 - 03:27 PM

Click on each other's user name, add to your ignore list and be done. If you can't leave each other alone, I'll just whack the both of you. Not because I don't like you, but because I'm not putting up with the bullshit.

If you want to trade paint via pm, go ahead... At least it will spare the rest of us the soap.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.