July 2005 Dirt Bag Issue on XR650R Baja Mods

7 replies to this topic
  • Jayzonk

Posted July 05, 2005 - 06:26 PM

Re: "Dirt Bag" Magazine - I needed something to get your attention! Did anyone bother to add up the parts cost of all of the mods to the XR650R("High Plains Drifter) that were done in the July issue of Dirt Bike Magazine? P.54. I can't believe they didn't include a tally.

• qadsan

Posted July 05, 2005 - 06:33 PM

I read it a few weeks ago and it was a good read, but I didn't tally the prices, although I'm sure it was a solid several thou from what I recall (HID, e-start, etc). How much $$$ damage was there?

• Old_Man_Time

Posted July 05, 2005 - 06:43 PM

I read it a few weeks ago and it was a good read, but I didn't tally the prices, although I'm sure it was a solid several thou from what I recall (HID, e-start, etc). How much $$$ damage was there?

The E-start alone is $950. when you include the stator rewind which is a must.

• Jayzonk

Posted July 05, 2005 - 07:30 PM

Okay, thanks dudes!
jason

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • larry650

Posted July 05, 2005 - 09:08 PM

On page 60 at the end of the KTM LC4 Adventure article they stated they dropped over 2000.00 not including labor or the original price of the bike on the Honda making the 8500.00 price of the KTM less intimidating.

• justicedone

Posted July 05, 2005 - 10:04 PM

Should Have Just Bought A Lattee

He He

• Jayzonk

Posted July 06, 2005 - 10:35 PM

Okay, here's the real question: suppose you could buy the XR650R just as you'd like it - eg. with all the right mods to make it the perfect bike - uncorked, way bigger fuel tank, titanium or aluminum pipe, e-start, etc., and you'd have your Baja bike! Why does it seem so satisfying if the company(Honda) can do it for you, as opposed to doing it yourself? I think this poses a big question for all of us - why does success at Honda understanding our needs lead to ultimate fulfillment in the end, as opposed to getting the bike and modifying it? Shouldn't it really mean the same thing? Or would it? Try to think about your answer without considering the cost. Assume it costs Honda the same to make the bike with all your mods as it does for you to buy the mods and modify it yourself. Would we find other ways to modify the bike, just to make it different? Is it something about us that makes this work? Or is it something about corporations? Is there something that makes you feel more comfortable with Honda, as opposed to Baja Designs, which is a much smaller, less profitable corporation, without the ability to guarantee/warranty their work? Is it brand equity? Corporate image? I don't know.

• timandchristy8

Posted July 07, 2005 - 10:39 AM

Jey, the long and short of it is that there will always be people making the bikes better or different no matter what it started as. That is why you see people out there putting nitrous and turbos on thier 25 cc scooters. It isn't because all they can drive is a scooter it is because nobody else has done it yet.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.