Is anyone happy running the stock jetting on their 05 ?

24 replies to this topic
  • RC81

Posted July 05, 2005 - 04:25 PM

Just picked mine up on Sat. and havent ridden it much. Dealer did the stop and grey wire and I removed the pipe in the silencer.

• Indy_WR450

Posted July 05, 2005 - 05:12 PM

You will be way lean with stock jetting. Check the TT post pinned to the top of this forum regarding jetting. Everyone has posted what works well for them. Many 05's are now happy with their new jetting. Link:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=230021

• hypersport

Posted July 05, 2005 - 07:18 PM

My dealer did the free mods and as far as I can tell, it runs perfectly with the stock jetting. Absolutely no hiccups anywhere in the powerband. I've ridden it 3 times for a total of 36 miles. Climbed some seriously tough hills too, can't say enough about the power as I came off an 03 WR 250.

Who knows, maybe after a while, I'll want to coax some more hp out of it, but for now it's just awesome.

Installed the Utah skid plate and the Unabikers this weekend, both fit perfectly. Really like both products as they fit so clean and tight.

• bigbluejoe

Posted July 06, 2005 - 11:06 AM

The only thing I have touched on my carb is the choke. Exhaust peashotter removed and AIS removed. This bike rocks the rockies here in Alberta with stock jetting. I put unibiker on days ago. Nice fit. Running a White Brothers E-Series pipe this weekend. May change things or maybe not. Sounds absolutley incredable with the spark arrestor removed. No noise laws here (yet)!

• luckyfly

Posted July 06, 2005 - 02:30 PM

I had major problems with the standard jetting. Once it heated up the idle would race all over the place, it boiled on technical hills. I didn't realise it was too lean causing these problems. Since installed a JD jetting kit and transformed the bike, highly recommended.

• Indy_WR450

Posted July 06, 2005 - 05:03 PM

I had major problems with the standard jetting. Once it heated up the idle would race all over the place, it boiled on technical hills. I didn't realise it was too lean causing these problems. Since installed a JD jetting kit and transformed the bike, highly recommended.

Great point! :) Stock jetting is hard on the motor on hot days and slow technical riding. Proper jetting really fixes overheating issues. :)

• Summit

Posted July 07, 2005 - 05:50 AM

Mine seems to run real good as far as I can tell so far......58 miles. Anyway, I ride 4000' - 8000'. Please post what elevation you guys are running that are having lean problems please. I do notice a fair amount of heat under my right leg from the pipe at times....is this normal? I know that elevation makes a huge difference in jetting our 2 stroke snowmobiles. I assume it has a similar affect on these 4 strokes too. I should add that the dealer did the free mods except for the baffle.

• Indy_WR450

Posted July 07, 2005 - 05:52 AM

Stock jetting is perfect for 8,000 feet! :)

• Al Curtis

Posted July 07, 2005 - 09:59 AM

I picked up my 05 450 a couple of weeks ago. LOVE IT. Quite a change from my (no laughing) 83 XR 350. I had the dealer remove the stop and the pipe tip. I will be rejetting and removing the AIS but I'm not sure about the grey wire. What is the difference in timing and power? Can I change it back if I don't like it?

• Indy_WR450

Posted July 07, 2005 - 10:37 AM

Splice in an on off switch for the gray wire. That way you can choose what ignition timing you want to run. YZ or WR map. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • beezer

Posted July 07, 2005 - 12:21 PM

An uncorked and jetted WR and a stocker are 2 different bikes.

A lean bike won't last as long and will run hotter.

I like my JD kit.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted July 07, 2005 - 02:23 PM

Stock jetting is perfect for 8,000 feet! :)

Exactly... :)

• Al Curtis

Posted July 07, 2005 - 07:29 PM

Thanks Indy I'll try it.

• minion

Posted July 07, 2005 - 09:14 PM

I ride at about 800 ft ASL. The stock jetting was horrible at that elevation. It wouldn't idle, poor throttle response, and a horrible bog at low end.

I followed Indy's base of:

75 to 90 degrees: 165 main, JD Red #5, 48 Pilot, 1.25 turns, 68 starter jet, #50 leak jet

And then tweaked it a little. I'm now running:

75 to 90 degrees: 168 main, JD Red #5, 48 Pilot, 1.75 turns, 72 starter jet, #40 leak jet

The idle bog snap is almost completely gone.. I say almost, because its there if you REALLY snap it from idle, but if you were to snap it like that when you actually ride, you'd flip over. :)

Idles great, runs great, couldn't be happier. Well, I'd be happier if I didn't owe anything on it, but other than that. :)

• terryg

Posted July 12, 2005 - 05:17 PM

Indy WR450,

You mentioned stock jetting perfect for 8000'. Would that be the case at that altitude with the free mods done?

thanks, terry

• Indy_WR450

Posted July 12, 2005 - 05:33 PM

I would start with stock jetting with all the free mods at 8,000. feet and summer riding. You may need to bump up the main if you feel it is not pulling hard enough up on top. :applause:

• rtrolli69

Posted July 12, 2005 - 05:46 PM

On subject of whether to remove the gray wire.I have an 05 WR450 it is removed or clipped. :applause: From what I have read in dirt rider mag,is that it just changes the timing &computer mapping to the iginition.The grey wire is just a ground that Yamaha uses to switch this from the yzf to the Wr.Yzf is more race mode.

• cgun

Posted July 13, 2005 - 10:28 AM

My local Yamaha mechanic said he was told that pulling the grey wire removed the rev limiter. Does somebody with the wire removed want to test that :-)

• USN-goat

Posted July 14, 2005 - 06:01 AM

I've been pretty happy with the stock jetting in mine between 8K-12K feet. It is lean for 6K though.

All free mods except "grey wire".

• jdd123

Posted July 14, 2005 - 07:22 AM

Mine felt a little boggy at 9000 feet but nothing significant. I still turned in the fuel screw. Definitely, the bike would be too lean at sea level.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.