Mobil 1 Oils Analysis

6 replies to this topic
  • Vibeguy

Posted July 05, 2005 - 04:09 PM

The oil analysis results comparing the old Mobil 1 15w-50 synthetic (red cap) and the new Mobil 1 15w-50 Extended Performance (gold cap) show the oils to be nearly identical. :)

The amounts of Molybdenum in both oils are the same (82ppm) so there will be no clutch problems with the new oil. The amount of anti-wear additives (zinc and phosphorous) are virtually the same. The amount of zinc in the new oil is down a few ppm's but the phosphorus is up a few ppms.

For those of us that fell in love with the old red cap fear not, the new gold cap EP 15w-50 is the same oil.

If someone would be willing to scan the analysis results and post on TT send me a pm with your fax number.

• sirthumpalot

Posted July 05, 2005 - 04:16 PM

Check your PM's

• Serenity Now

Posted July 05, 2005 - 05:57 PM

Why is the new Extended Performance about $1 more per quart than the old Red Cap if they are the same? Just curios as I want to justify having to pay that much for my oil. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Vibeguy

Posted July 05, 2005 - 06:10 PM

How about Marketing 101, change the bottle, mark it up and they will purchase!

• grayracer513

Posted July 05, 2005 - 07:13 PM

So you guys never saw this? (from a March thread on this subject);t=000408;p=

A used sample would tell me a lot more.

• sirthumpalot

Posted July 06, 2005 - 03:39 AM

Heres a link to both reports:

Oil analisys results

The images are large (about 250kB each) so give them a minute to load.

• sirthumpalot

Posted July 06, 2005 - 03:52 AM

I just skimmed that other thread, and I do see significant differences between the standard Mobil oil and the MX4T/v-twin. In particular, there is 36% more Phosperous and 32% more Zinc in the motorcycle specific oils. That's quite a large difference in those two materials.

In regards to the new and old Mobile oil described in the carts above; agreed they look to be the same! Marketing...

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.