WR450; Baja Designs kit; keeps blowing the headlight.....

5 replies to this topic
  • BrandonW

Posted July 05, 2005 - 11:25 AM

A guy here at work at the mentioned set-up.

Baja Design's told him that it was "probably" his voltage regulator. He changed that, and it is still blowing the headlight.

Any thoughts?

:)

• shotgunscott

Posted July 05, 2005 - 02:24 PM

What year is his bike?
When I installed mine on the 03 the same thing was happening. Baja designs has tried a few different band aids for this problem, but it has not been resolved in my opinion.
After he replaces the regulator only run the light on the high beam (60 watt).
Or replace the bulb with a 70-75 for hi and low.
I don't know what the reason is but when you drop below 65 total watt draw (60 for the head light 5 for the tail) the regulators screw up then send un regulated power to both bulbs. I had readings up to 29 volts @5000 rpm.
Baja Designs is right, it is the voltage regulator. But the reason for its failing is in direct result of there kit design. Keep the pressure on them to make it right.

• BrandonW

Posted July 05, 2005 - 02:40 PM

His is an '04.

So, running a higher wattage bulb is a "quick-fix"? (because it can suck up the extra wattage without blowing?)

I got a 100 watter that I don't use. Maybe I will give that to him until BD can solve things.

Hey, BTW, when are you hooking me up with a melon cover like this?

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jim-in-so-ore

Posted July 05, 2005 - 03:21 PM

He should have bought a TRICKDUALSPORT kit
Jim

• shotgunscott

Posted July 06, 2005 - 05:55 PM

As soon as oldbones finds us a couple hundred miles of single track in Grangeville I'll met you there and deliever the melon cover personally. :)

• BrandonW

Posted July 07, 2005 - 07:03 AM

As soon as oldbones finds us a couple hundred miles of single track in Grangeville I'll met you there and deliever the melon cover personally. :)

Sweet! He called me last night, and he is starting his exploring. I am there like a butt hair!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.