Should I get the YZ400f

10 replies to this topic
  • SWAT117

Posted July 05, 2005 - 11:12 AM

I would appreciate any feedback you guys can give me on this topic. I am considering purchasing a 1999 YZ400F that is in very good condition. I am a novice to imtermediate rider. I rode some when I was a kid and have rode friends bikes on occasion recently (mostly on a 2003 xr250r) and I do ok but that doesn't add up to alot of experience. 90% of my riding will be tight NC trailes with some open field riding. Just wanting to know if the YZ400f is going to be too much for me in the trails (36yoa, 5'10" 185lbs). I don't want to get something smaller and be bored with it in 6 months but I don't want to go too big and kill myself either. If I do get the 400f, how is the 1st gear torque at slow speed (we have a lot of hills in this area). What mods would I need to do to help with this (if any needed). Same question for suspension (would I need to change anything). Thanks for any input. Randy

• SureBlue

Posted July 05, 2005 - 12:01 PM

Welcome Randy. You sure ask a lot :) If you ride tight trails, the bike is heavy, you need to go for 13-52 gearing. It may stall easily but there is tons of torque. You can also install a heavier flywheel or a Rekluse clutch (if you want to make it a scooter). Sorry to say I'm an old school guy and MY opinion is a bike needs a clutch (all you Rekluse guys, don't wet your pants due to MY opinion). Have a test ride on a 400-426-450 if possible. But I would consider a 250F based on what you tell us. A good suspension setup for your weight and riding style is very important and often overlooked.

• Fly-nBri

Posted July 05, 2005 - 12:18 PM

I own a 99 400 also and have had very few problems at all with it. They are, for the most part, bullet proof. They are a bit heavy at times but you are about my size and can handle it with ease.

If your mostly trail riding you may want to consider different gearing. Easily swapped out, and maybe some Engine Ice Brand additive to keep the engine cooler as they like to have lots of air going over their radiators to keep cool. The Engine Ice works great for that problem!

Do not get anything smaller as you will most likely regret it. And there are plenty of woods riders that can give you more tips on this site. You won't kill yourself! This bike is very easy to control. 1st gear torque at slow speed is not real great at slow speeds if your thinking about the tight trails, but that's where the gearing comes in. It's not to expensive and very easy to change out the sprocket.

The suspension, if stock, should be real close to your weight and ability. You'll know more of what you want with it once you ride it around a bit and give it a good workout.
Good luck!

• sully16

Posted July 05, 2005 - 12:59 PM

Ramdy,
I just bought a 99 yzf400 3 weeks ago, despite chewing up a valve and taking out the piston and head, I love the bike. Don't ask about the valve, it wasn't the bikes fault, I think the guy I bought it off had the valve timing out. Anyways, I had a 2000 TTR250 before this bike (actually still have the TTR) and it is a great tight trail bike but I out grew it in less than 1 year. I think that we are similar riders, I am 33, intermediate skill and can't wait to get the 400 going again. It is a little tough in the really tight stuff because it does have such a tall 1st gear, I plan on adding a flywheel weight and then perhaps play with the sprockets but not until I see how well the weight works. This bike has tons of power and the weight is not an issue if you know how to ride. This will probably be my last bike as long as once it is fixed it stays together.

• Satch0922

Posted July 05, 2005 - 03:46 PM

Welcome Randy. You sure ask a lot :) If you ride tight trails, the bike is heavy, you need to go for 13-52 gearing. It may stall easily but there is tons of torque. You can also install a heavier flywheel or a Rekluse clutch (if you want to make it a scooter). Sorry to say I'm an old school guy and MY opinion is a bike needs a clutch (all you Rekluse guys, don't wet your pants due to MY opinion). Have a test ride on a 400-426-450 if possible. But I would consider a 250F based on what you tell us. A good suspension setup for your weight and riding style is very important and often overlooked.

SureBlue hit the nail on the head. Get the 250F....they are so much more fun to ride than the old 400F. The 400 is a pretty stout bike but you will hate wrestling it around. I know people that own them will say this is not so.....just like I used to say about my 426.....until I bought a bike that was light and agile. Now when I get the chance to ride a 426 it feels like I am riding on the back of a locomotive! I also have a blast riding 250F's any chance I get .....they are so forgiving and easy to ride.

Again...not dissing the bikes....how could I ...they are blue.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SWAT117

Posted July 05, 2005 - 03:52 PM

I appreciate everybodys feedback. You guys have helped me make up my mind. Of course I will give a good test ride before completely making up my mind but it sounds like this is probably going to be the bike for me. I can't afford to buy a new bike so I have to buy a good used one. One more question, how much for a flywheel and what is the pupose (I get the gear change). Again, I appreciate the responses and I am really enjoying this web site. Just found it yesterday while researching this bike.
Thanks, Randy

• SWAT117

Posted July 05, 2005 - 05:40 PM

SATCH0922
Wasn't ignoring your comments. We must have been typing at the same time and yours just went through before mine. Keep the info coming. I still have some thinking to do. The only thing about the 250f is finding one I can afford.
Thanks again.

• yz133rider

Posted July 05, 2005 - 05:48 PM

SWAT what is your price range?

• SWAT117

Posted July 05, 2005 - 06:21 PM

Ball park of $2500.

• walent215

Posted July 05, 2005 - 07:35 PM

i had a 98 400 that i was very happy with in the desert and trails.forks will take a little work to get right but if you gear it right you will love it in the desert.the biggest complaint i had with the bike was the weight so if your not going to be doing any hills or anything you might look at the 250f or a 450f.if you take your time you might be able to find a 450 at a good price -especially with the new ones coming out and all.good luck!!

• LJ

Posted July 06, 2005 - 07:54 AM

I love my '99 yz400 for the trails. The power is so smooth and controllable, and the suspension is great for trails. I use to ride 250 two strokes (cr's and rm's) and the 400 is so much easier to ride because of the lug factor, it will crawl up any nasty uphill with no clutch (when geared down a bit). The only time I notice the wieght is in the mud and when I pick it up. Other than that I don't notice the wieght at all. In fact I'll argue it soaks up the trail junk better because of the weight, something to do about sprung to unsprung weight ratio (common you closet mechanical engineers, you know what I'm talking about...)

As a reference, I've ridden a CRF250X and thought it was a great bike. However, I'd miss the grunt factor. It's also not quite as stable as my yz400 in the rough stuff, but that might be more bike set up and the fact I need to replace my head bearings.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.