Yamaha 450 Thumper??

5 replies to this topic
  • Bill

Posted March 04, 2001 - 06:12 AM

I was over at Off-Road.com and read an interveiw with Ty Davis. He mentioned that yamaha may have a 450 in development for next year.

Anyone else hear this?

86TT225, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. De-octopussed. Works frame guards and Thumper Rad Guards, Scotts steering damper. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank, IMS seat and number plate. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA, Happy Ramblers MXC.

Posted March 04, 2001 - 09:23 AM

Bill, I too saw that interview. It wouldn't surprise me if they did though. Like Ty said the KX500's are faster! Back in 1977 I was riding a Yamaha TT500 thumper. Then Yamaha quit making them so I got a TT350 in 86 which I still have. That bike still runs great by the way! Yamaha needs something I think to compete against the Honda 650s and the KX500s. What will it be? The YZ400/426's were made to compete against the 250cc 2 strokes in moto X. But, we are also using them to race in the Open class!? What is with that? Clearly, there is a vacancy that needs to be filled for a big bore thumper from Yamaha to compete against Honda and the KX guys...Like the YZ250, we will have to live with rumors for the next year or so. I'll be watching with interest also.. :)

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 04, 2001 - 02:12 PM

Marnicq Bervoets and Stefan Everts are using them in the 500s world championships this year.Looking forvard too see the results in the future(looked good at Hawkstone Park).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ron_in_SoCal

Posted March 04, 2001 - 03:01 PM

Check out the article "Yamaha Confirms 'Dream Team' in 500 Motocross" on speedvision.com.

Here is a quote:

"Rinaldi and Yamaha factory engineers in Japan have jointly developed the latest version of the YZ426F, which will feature an increase in engine capacity, and a completely new crankcase."

• Lee

Posted March 05, 2001 - 07:50 PM

I thought under the new rules that the minimum displacement for open class was 475cc's or something like that?

• MN_Kevin

Posted March 06, 2001 - 04:33 AM

The latest Dirt Rider, April 2001 [page 23], mentions the YZF going on a diet and incresing the displacement.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.