how many miles before overhaul?

5 replies to this topic
  • suharianu

Posted July 05, 2005 - 06:44 AM

I have XR600 with about 31000 miles.engine has never been open.
the bike has power and runs many miles can this engine run?

• Moredesert

Posted July 05, 2005 - 11:44 AM

I would say your well over do. At about 15-20K depending how you ride it you should expext to do some work. The tranny is a weak point. For us desert guys that run Baja it seems the the gear face would start to chip. I had to replace 6 gears when I pulled my engine apart the second time. The engine is strong but when geared up and under stress at low RPM the transmission seems to chatter and with time it got louder.

• roadcam

Posted July 05, 2005 - 03:02 PM

I have XR600 with about 31000 miles.engine has never been open.
the bike has power and runs many miles can this engine run?

I asked that same question about a year ago regarding the 650L engines, and if I remember right, most replies were in the 20,000-25,000 range for basic overhaul, but a few went a bit longer ...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Motosprtman

Posted July 06, 2005 - 05:28 AM

ya know - I had a 1973 XL250 that went over 22,000 miles and was never apart, changed oil frequently - that is the key.... same as today fresh oil = longevity. How you ride it also makes a huge difference. Hammer it in Baja - well go figure...

Speaking of the 650L now I would think that it would run upwards of 40-50K pretty easy before needing much attention, but again it depends on how it is ridden.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted July 07, 2005 - 06:12 AM

no, changin the oil frequently is not the key, the key is that it is an unbreakable engine.

• LotsOfBikes

Posted July 07, 2005 - 06:13 AM

Were I nicer to my XR650L, would would probably never need the engine cracked open. After over 50,000 miles, my transmission is almost totally original, except second gear. My cam, timing chain, piston, piston Rings and clutch basket are original (I replaced the friction plates only at around 40,000 miles).

If you keep your oil changed every few thousand miles, at the least, then there is no reason to ever need to pull the engine apart.

So suharianu, if your XR600 is not smoking, is not losing any oil and has decent power, then you will not need to pull the engine apart - possibly never. Kept in stock form, and with frequent oil changes, the XR600/650L engine can easily pass 100,000 miles. Mine will.

Related Content

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  47 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.