cheap little tool mod for your Pilot Screw

12 replies to this topic
  • Taffy

Posted March 04, 2001 - 01:22 AM

i've got the engine out & the carb is just sat there.

so i thought i'd make a cheap little tool to adjust the pilot screw because i can never find the damn thing when i'm out.

i took a small electricians flate blade & tapped a spark plug top on the end. the wider end surrounds the blade. the top end is nearer the handle.

i then scrolled it as i ground away the outside to get it nice & small. it now fits the screw & can't fall off.

now the thing is too long so what to do?

i chopped it off real short leaving just enough room to put a electrical 'thingy' on.

you know the one's, two screws in a clear plastic body, you put i wire in one end & pinch it up & one in the other & do the same. that 'thingy'.

i now have a reference to how far round it goes. to stop it slipping i put a flat face on the screwdriver so the pinch screws sit on a flat face.

[This message has been edited by Taffy (edited 03-04-2001).]

• James_Dean

Posted March 05, 2001 - 09:48 PM

Thanks for sharing this.

Unfortunately, I find it difficult to understand. A picture would help.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 06, 2001 - 12:13 AM

I'm not quite getting it either - specifically the part about it not falling off. Does this mean it stays on the pilot screw, and you just have to reach in to adjust? Or are you talking of the spark plug top not falling off the piece of screwdriver?
I bring along a small driver with bits, and just use a hexagonal cabinet bit to adjust the screw. You can stick the bit in and turn with your fingers, using the stamped part number on one flat for reference.

• Taffy

Posted March 06, 2001 - 01:06 AM

sorry about the description!

i found i was jamming the screwdriver up the side, it was falling off the PS head etc.

so to look at the screwdriver blade from the end on it looks like

a tube with a blade across the middle.

that way i wiggle the 'screwdriver' on, then twist it round until the blade falls into the slot, i then only have to look at the screwdriver to see how much i'm turning it.

what do you call those electrical 'thingies'!

• Bill

Posted March 06, 2001 - 02:43 AM

I'll take Taffy for $500, Alex. :) :D

What is a spade connector? :D :D

Taffy, we love ya buddy :D

86TT225, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. De-octopussed. Works frame guards and Thumper Rad Guards, Scotts steering damper. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank, IMS seat and number plate. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA, Happy Ramblers MXC.

• Scott_F

Posted March 06, 2001 - 08:52 AM

Taffy, in the US electronics industry, those type of screwdrivers are called "tweakers", not to be confused with methamphetamine users.

Originally posted by Taffy:
what do you call those electrical 'thingies'!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SFO

Posted March 06, 2001 - 07:16 PM

Snap-on sold a super short screwdriver with a handle that was about a 1/4" long.
It was a strait slot variation with an overall length of perhaps 1.125".
The handle was more of a disk, it had a dimple in the middle so you could hold it in the pilot screw whilst you were negotiating the adjustment procedure.
If you want I could create a solid works model of this shorty, but I don't have a picture or part#.
Am I on the right track Taffy?

• wrsm

Posted March 11, 2001 - 01:01 PM

I understand you Taffy. I am going to make one now. The torque required to turn the PS is so small that the chocolate block connector has enough purchase on the shaft. I recon I could use a welding rod instead of ruining a screwdriver.
(Well I call them chocolate blocks!)

• Andrew_in_OZ

Posted March 11, 2001 - 02:04 PM

I've just braised/soldered a 40mm piece of coat hanger wire to the pilot screw with 5mm bent at 90 degres out the bottom this is used to turn and position the screw. Just reach down and turn "too easy"

• Taffy

Posted March 11, 2001 - 09:26 PM

nice one andy!

OBTW i think they used to call the "thingy" a "block connector" over here in the UK.

do you now know what i mean usa?

• bfazt1

Posted November 17, 2010 - 07:59 PM

I bought an after market Fuel Screw - Ali one with nice knob at the end - I found I could adjust very easily - However I could not achieve proper adjustment -

I found the tip was smaller(0.7mm) than the brass oem one on my Honda CRF450R (0.8mm)

So I took and Old Main Jet - cut the thread part off - drilled a shallow hole the same diameter as fuel screw diameter 4mm - Then drilled a 2mm hole diagonally through both which I used too rivet it on ( I used a tire ball filler the tube part ) but any method even glue could be used too secure the main jet to the end of the fuel screw -

I had to chamfer the end that goes into the carb cos with a square edge it did not fully screw in -

This can now easily be turned by hand - or with a main jet tool - cheap and uses oem brass screw which is correct dimensions

• foggy3061

Posted November 18, 2010 - 11:13 PM

I just carry a flat bladed one of these and use it to turn the pilot screw by hand, easy!

Posted Image

• gggsxr11

Posted December 22, 2010 - 06:41 PM

i just got some clear plastic tube like the tubes on the carby and pushed it over the pilot screw and let it hang out under the carby and put white dot on one side so i could tell how far i have turned it seems to work ok.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.