Trying to be street legal!

3 replies to this topic
  • 450GN

Posted July 04, 2005 - 04:30 PM

well my car died and i was really wanting to make my bike street legal while i wait on getting the car fixed...
what is the cheapest i can get it for and how hard is it to register at the secretary of state and how hard to get insurance for it?

i live in michigan and just wondering if anyone has the entire kit for sale by chance or any places to get it CHEAP

i would like to get the battery operated kit since it is probably cheaper than getting a stator and all that

• djbiker

Posted July 04, 2005 - 05:17 PM

Baja designs or 4Stokes only for cheapest

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 02YZ426

Posted July 04, 2005 - 06:21 PM

The cheapest way is for you to piece a kit together yourself. Get the Acerbis headlight, Led tail light and brake pressure switch. Put a small 12volt battery in the air box, and change the light bulbs that come in the headlight to 20 watt bulbs oppose to the 35watts that come with it. Even still, you wont be doing any amount of night riding because the battery will die very quick without a stator. If your lucky you wont need to put turn signals on it. Acerbis also makes a pretty slick mirror that you can get. As for insurance I cant see it being much trouble to get it, just call for a quote, it should be fairly cheap since most insurance companies dont know anything about these bikes, just tell them its an enduro and you should be fine.

• yz450supermo

Posted July 07, 2005 - 07:44 PM

I had no problem getting insurance even before mine was street legal. I got the tag this week. Differs from state to state but all i had to do was show the title and proof of inspection (it did work to my advantage that im a licensed inspector..lol). As for not getting a lighting coil and just using a battery for lights, rem that most states require high beam lights for motorcycles even during the day. Hope that helps, Kevin.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.