hot starting problems

3 replies to this topic
  • djbiker

Posted July 04, 2005 - 10:03 AM

just took out my 02 426 for the 5th time since i bought it and have had trouble hot starting it. it takes me for ever to start like maybe 15 kicks or so and some times its easier with the hot start off and some times with the chock on. could this be because i have the idle set so low?

any help would be nice

• 450high

Posted July 07, 2005 - 01:36 AM

You do need a high idle. Try turning it up a couple of turns just to start it , you can always turn it down once it starts.When i had my 426 it could be a pig when hot.I was always told not to touch the throttle , one day after 5 of us going tags on the kicker 20 mins and still no go.Another group of bikes came along and this guy offered to start it.Bugger me 4 kicks and it went. What he did was crack the throttle to 1/4 then kicked. He then told me thats what he does if his won;t start when hot.Also they need a high idle about 1500 rpm.It sounds rather high after riding a 2 smoke but it help.Also try cleaning the carb and maybe some one can suggest some jet sizes to help.
Good ridding Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crfmatt

Posted July 07, 2005 - 09:49 AM

I usually find that choke works better than hot start unless you stall it or lay it down so try choke first and if that fails use hot start...

• Chills

Posted July 07, 2005 - 10:07 AM

Dont forget, after a few kicks, and still no go, hold the throttle Wide Open, pull in the decompression, and kick it about 10 time, let the throttle and decompression go, and try kicking it over again, it normally works for me, and mine usually starts with the hot start most of the time, but every now and then I have to clear it out.

I dont quite understand the 1/4 throttle thing, seeing that you are squirting more fuel into the carb, but whatever works...

Good luck, and if you dont already, do the auto decompression mod...

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.