Who Still Races the 426 ?

72 replies to this topic

Poll: Do You Race Motocross with a 426 (183 member(s) have cast votes)

Do You Race Motocross with a 426

1. Yes, I enter MX races regularly with my 426 (62 votes [33.88%])

Percentage of vote: 33.88%

2. Voted No, I just practice MX with my 426 (35 votes [19.13%])

Percentage of vote: 19.13%

3. Voted Neither, I ride woods/trail/ Cross country (86 votes [46.99%])

Percentage of vote: 46.99%

Vote Guests cannot vote
  • Satch0922

Posted July 04, 2005 - 04:31 AM

At the track yesterday some of us got into a discussion about the 426 and what a great bulletproof bike it was. Of course the Honday guys had to point out all of the 426's weaknesses (which are really only one thing...weight).

I was just curious, how many of you still race motocross with a 426? I don't mean ride, I mean enter into a race with it. They kinda of shut me down because it has been a long time since we have seen one at the track in a race. Mostly you see them on practice days or woods/cross country riding. Answer the poll and be honest. I like arguing with the Honday guys and I would like it to be based on truth! LOL :):D:D:D

• mulisha00

Posted July 04, 2005 - 06:38 AM

I just picked up a 02 yz426 and will be racing in another month or so when I get the clearance to ride cause this collarbone.

The way I look at it is like this. I have seen little kids on 80's hand me my ass at one point in time and I seriously doubt if half of the people on here ride to the full potential of what a 450 has that would make the 426 any disadvantaged. ITS NOT THE BIKE ITS THE RIDER. I plan on beating a couple of 450's with my 426. :)

• Vibeguy

Posted July 04, 2005 - 06:42 AM

Satch,

I just ride practice sessions with my 426 but would be doing the same even if I had a new 450. As a vet rider all of the "supercross" style tracks with their big doubles and triple jumps are too much risk for me, with a job and family to support I just can't afford to get hurt. I don't mind jumping but these go for broke, make it or die type jumps are no fun.

I have started back into racing the vintage events/tracks on my Maico's and having a blast.

• Thrash1

Posted July 04, 2005 - 09:17 AM

Satch,

I just ride practice sessions with my 426 but would be doing the same even if I had a new 450. As a vet rider all of the "supercross" style tracks with their big doubles and triple jumps are too much risk for me, with a job and family to support I just can't afford to get hurt. I don't mind jumping but these go for broke, make it or die type jumps are no fun.

Same Here If the jumps weren't so lippy I would do it in a heart beat... I may enter some Veteran Races and just roll the big jumps.

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 04, 2005 - 09:55 AM

I dont care what bike

You put two equal riders on two differant bikes and you get two equal riders on two differant bikes. On either day one may win.

Ok back up I am saying two equal riders one on a 2000 426 and the other on a 03 04 or 05 450

Is weight an issue?

The guy on the 450 weighs in 26 lbs more then the guy on the 426 :)

this would mean the 426 has about a 5 maybe 7 lb advantage now. :D

Its not the Bike fellers its the rider and that days luck :)

• moto2000

Posted July 04, 2005 - 11:14 AM

No problems racing Vet class on a 426. If anything, the guys on 250f's and 125's probably give me more fits than anyone on a 450.

Sure is nice to pass a shiny new CRF with my "outdated" 426 though. :)

• MisterMan

Posted July 04, 2005 - 11:39 AM

I dont care what bike

You put two equal riders on two differant bikes and you get two equal riders on two differant bikes. On either day one may win.

Ok back up I am saying two equal riders one on a 2000 426 and the other on a 03 04 or 05 450

Is weight an issue?

The guy on the 450 weighs in 26 lbs more then the guy on the 426 :)

this would mean the 426 has about a 5 maybe 7 lb advantage now. :D

Its not the Bike fellers its the rider and that days luck :)

dont get me wrong, the 426 is a great bike, I'm looking for one to buy in my area as we speak.....

The weight of the rider and the weight of the bike is way WAY different. If a bike weighs 200 lbs and ya have a stick riding it, (100lbs) hes gonna be way more faster on the straights, but on turns and throwing it around its gonna be difficult. But if ya have a 100 lbs bike and a 200 lb rider thats a little different, matters if he's all muscle or all hamburger. If all muscle he's gonna have the tight and techinal stuff and be lost in the dirt on the straights.
If he's all hamburger, well, he'll be on a quad later :D

Thats my 2 cents. :D

• Vetmxrider

Posted July 04, 2005 - 03:39 PM

I still race my 02 YZ426 every chance I get. I race with "Vet-X Racing" or the "Over the Hill Gang" here in Southern CA. I have never owned a bike as long as I have owned my 426 and now that I found this site, and all the helpfull people and advise, I enjoy my bike more then I did in 02 when I purchased it. :)

• 426_Pilot

Posted July 04, 2005 - 04:09 PM

I can't justify a new bike. My 01 has been absolutely bullet proof and in the O40 class I do very very well on it. In fact, I just bought a new pipe for it and will continue to piss the guys off that have 05 CRF's.

I'm 6'1" and 220 so I don't have any problem throwing the heavy bike around.

• Vibeguy

Posted July 04, 2005 - 05:22 PM

For all you guys racing your 426's, have you had the suspension worked on and if so by who and were you happy with the results? The only (minor) complaint I have is with the suspension, specifically the forks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • skthom2320

Posted July 04, 2005 - 06:46 PM

The suspension on my '01 was terrible stock compared to how good the stock showas are on my Honda. But after a revalve and subtanks the '01 boingers are darn good.

I used JM Racing in Texas.

BTW - I don't race my 426. The CRF is just too good. It's easier to go fast on it for longer because it's more nimble and the power is more forgiving.

• Yamaguy4Life

Posted July 05, 2005 - 05:33 AM

I have an '01 426 and can't wait to race it. I've been spending all of my riding time getting use to it. I've always ridden a 125 and the weight of the 426 requires a little time to adjust to. As soon as I can get a Sunday away from the wife and kids, I'll be lining it up in the big boy class to see how I do.

• Satch0922

Posted July 05, 2005 - 06:05 AM

some good responses so far. I loved my 01 and it was bulletproof and still going strong....somewhere in South Dakota! LOL

• Cisco5311

Posted July 05, 2005 - 10:42 AM

I have a 2000 426 and I race it just about every weekend, and do pretty damn good on it. Once I got it set up how I liked it, it has been unstopable!

• sldietz

Posted July 05, 2005 - 11:03 AM

I have no problem beating the new bikes...I have an '01 and it's not a problem on the track...I did do as much I could for now to lighten it up...carbon fiber...full Ti exhuast...etc....but I would argree...the only problem I find is the forks...I need to have them redone...Im using a RaceTech rear spring and the forks were revalved at one point by the previous owner at Independent...but they need to be redone again....other than that...I say it's mostly rider...then bike.

• solaidrider667

Posted July 05, 2005 - 08:18 PM

I race my 2000 426 at least once a month in the Sttars Supert tt series in so cal .It is supermoto not moto-x. I took 2nd in the sportsman class last year and give all the new bikes a run for thier money............I do get pulled on a long straight though, oh well,,,,,,,,and my bike is stock except for exhaust--
it has the oe clutch and the valves have yet to need an adjustment!! I am 220lbs and ride it hard!

• Slowmotion426

Posted July 05, 2005 - 08:33 PM

I'm in the process of rebuilding my 426. Should be back racing by August. :)

• Serenity Now

Posted July 06, 2005 - 05:33 AM

I haven't raced mine (haven't had it long) but I can honestly say it is just as fast and nearly as nimble as some of the newer 450's. Of course I do have it bored to a 450 with a ton$ of engine and suspension work also. If anyone is interested in buying a 426 that will show up some 450's let me know. I'm thinking of getting a WR or something with electric start since I ride woods mainly. Here's my 426/450 though: http://home.earthlin...ic750/id22.html :)

• YAMAKAZE

Posted July 06, 2005 - 05:52 AM

I race my YZ 426 twice a month. Just kicked some Honda 450F butt last Saturday night. It really doesn't matter about the size of the bike in the race. It's the size of the balls of the rider twisting the throttle. I may buy a 450 this year just for the extra power to leap tall buildings in a single bound. But my 426 will always be a favorite of mine.

Bonzai :)

Bill

• Traction12

Posted July 07, 2005 - 06:54 PM

I've just won my first race on a 426. (Two second place finishes ended up being a first!) Granted, I was in the novice class with 12 other guys, but I raced against a bunch of newer 450s. I'm also 160lbs tough too, so no extra weight there. The only place I've noticed the weight being an issue is through rhythm sections where it doesn't quite "pop" after preloading and slowing down for corners. I love the bike. :)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.