Main Jet/ Chain tensioner warning....

Thot I´d pass on a little tip here, I learned this the hard way. I have been doing allot of main jet swapping lately and to do that I just pull the chain tensioner off and roll the bottom of the carb out to the left side. Don´t make the same mistake I did, be sure to put the timing mark in TDC before you pull the tensioner, cuz if you don´t and a valve is partly compressed, the slack chain will allow the cam to roll and your chain will jump a tooth. I pulled mine off without setting it to TDC and I heard an evil click. I had to pull the valve cover to check and yeah, off one tooth. TDC everytime.

Mark...

Why do you even need to rotate the carb?

An open-end wrench makes quick work of the carb bowl plug, and you can get a 1/4" drive ratchet and 6mm socket in there.

Rockymountain has some cool 6mm hex tools that'll work just as well.

What others have said.. Mark, you're creating more work for yourself, no need to remove the cam chain tensioner to remove or work on the carb. Like Rich said, you can access the main without removing the carb, but even when pulling the carb out you still don't need to remove the cam chain tensioner..

Dan

• 2 years later...