WR 450 offroad gearing

4 replies to this topic
  • pclans

Posted July 03, 2005 - 08:34 PM

Just wondering what sprockets (gearing) you would run for off road riding. My 03 WR450 has pressntly got a 50 rear and a 15 front but this seems too high. Can't decide what size to put on the front. I dont really want to change the rear as it is in good nick.

All my riding is off road and now I hardly ever even get into top cog.
With lower gearing does the bike become more of a handful?

Cheers

• MisterMan

Posted July 04, 2005 - 11:50 AM

1 tooth='s aprox 4 in the rear.

I agree /w/ ya, its a lil too tall for me, If I were you I'd only add 1-3 teeth on the rear.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Knopey

Posted July 04, 2005 - 08:54 PM

Go with a 14 front. They are cheap and easy to fit, and you should be able to use the existing chain as-is. (Ideally you have as big a front AND rear sprocket as you can because they last longer that way, but this way is much cheaper and simpler.) Or you could go up to a 52 or 53 tooth rear if you can find one. Might be difficult and may require a new or lengthened chain...

15/50 gives a drive ratio of 3.33 (use rear/front teeth to work it out).
So 14/50 gives 3.57. Higher the number the lower the gearing.
15/53 gives 3.53
14/53 gives 3.79

With 14/50, you'll notice the difference but it should be easier in the tight stuff if anything :)

• Matty05

Posted July 04, 2005 - 11:16 PM

I got 14/50 standard but it came with a 15 in the spares pack.

Take that 15 sprocket and throw it away as far as you can! I tried the 15 and found it crap. I find the 14 is much more usable in all gears.

I am thinking of even going for a 13.

• 450high

Posted July 07, 2005 - 01:28 AM

I have have just gone 14 / 53 from 14 / 50 standard and it's the spot on.I never used top and now i can lift the front in 4 th.It's a lot better on big hills as it's less likely to bog.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.