IMS tank sun damage??

14 replies to this topic
  • elkinthrobber

Posted July 03, 2005 - 03:57 PM

anyone else having sun damage(discolored) to the IMS tank? does the Clarke tank do this as well?

• Kritter

Posted July 04, 2005 - 08:35 AM

CLarke does it as bad if not worse. Its not from the sun as I keep my bikes in the garage and it does it. Its from the gas/ gas vapor. I notice my bikes with race gas discolor less...not sure if that means anything though.

• DelTronXR

Posted July 04, 2005 - 09:12 AM

Are you guys talking about the natural color?

• roadcam

Posted July 04, 2005 - 09:28 AM

my red IMS tank has held its color OK, but its garaged when not ridden, and I hit it with a shot of lemon Pledge now and then .. pretty dull finish to begin with .. :)

• goblin127

Posted July 04, 2005 - 11:14 AM

My red clark tank still looks the same as when i got it.

• elkinthrobber

Posted July 05, 2005 - 05:33 AM

yea i'm talking about the nat. color one. i have the clarke on my kx 250 and it hasen't turned color yet but it's kept inside but i have still seen some of them that have. i thought it was the sun but maybe it is the gas that's doing it. well it still looks like crap on my XR....... anyone know what to do?

• truck6driver

Posted July 05, 2005 - 06:35 AM

I have a white IMS tank on my 94' XR650L. It has discolored over the years from the gas. It has a tan color to the lower 3/4 part of the tank. No cleaning I have ever tried works.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • elkinthrobber

Posted July 05, 2005 - 07:20 AM

same here!

• DelTronXR

Posted July 05, 2005 - 11:54 AM

Yeah I've had the red IMS 3.2 on my bike for just over 2 years now and it's still in perfect shape color wise :)

Posted July 05, 2005 - 09:27 PM

my clarke is also doing the same and so did my ims, its a small price to pay to be able to see your fuel :)

• Husky_Forever

Posted July 06, 2005 - 04:15 AM

The only way to keep it looking fresh is to drain your fuel after every ride. The fuel turns the natural tanks a dark brownish color. Happens to all tanks, just the neutral shows it the best. Steny :)

• Kirk Jacinto

Posted July 26, 2005 - 08:41 AM

How well does the tank's Red color match the original Honda red on your XR? I have a 2003 XR400 and wanted to get a lrger tank. However, I want the new tank color to match the fenders well.

• roadcam

Posted July 26, 2005 - 03:04 PM

a buddy's old 600 has a plastic tank so old, its a deep brown ... he calls it "plastic rust" .... :applause:

• jws

Posted July 26, 2005 - 07:28 PM

I have a Clarke 4.3 and a IMS 3.2 both are natural and both look like chit :applause:

• GIANTac1

Posted July 26, 2005 - 08:14 PM

I have a clarke 4.0, red, and it matches my '05 xrl perfectly. It has a nice bright, smooth finish :applause:

Related Content

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.