Cracked left side cover

5 replies to this topic
  • socalxr650

Posted July 03, 2005 - 02:29 PM

While I was warming up the bikes for a ride yesterday, I was moving the Pig to the sidewalk. I had the side stand down, but something was amiss! When I let go of the bike, she did the slow motion fall! I turned and tried to catch her, but its hard to catch a falling 400 pund Pig, she hit the ground on the left side, and cracked the case cover.

Besides a broken cover from the shifter, is there anything else I could have messed up? The pig is bleeding now, and the shop said a new cover is $120.

I hope that is all it is. Any help you guys can give is greatly appreciated!

Paul :) :) :D

• qadsan

Posted July 03, 2005 - 04:23 PM

The left crankcase cover is $45.96 + shipping from Service Honda www.servicehonda.com. You may as well order a new gasket while you're at it. There should be no more than a teaspoon of oil in the left crankcase, which is normally dry. Chances are that the only thing broken is the sidecase, but without seeing the bike, I can't tell you if anything else is damaged. Make sure the stator still looks perfect in addition to the flywheel & magnetic pickup.

• socalxr650

Posted July 04, 2005 - 08:58 PM

Thanks for the price check. I will check it out and do it myself! Thnkas again!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qadsan

Posted July 04, 2005 - 09:42 PM

Replacing the cover is a piece of cake. Once the bolts are out, the cover might feel like its stuck on there when you're trying to pull it off, but it's just the magnetic field from the stator making it feel that way. I usually give the side cover a light tap with a rubber mallot to break any seal as I'm pulling it off. Either the cover or its mating surface will have some guide pins in it and they'll be obvious if you're looking for them, so don't loose them as you'll need them for the new cover.

• mountainrider

Posted July 05, 2005 - 04:26 PM

I used J B Weld on mine and it worked great. Thought I was a the only one that done crap like that.

• socalxr650

Posted July 05, 2005 - 06:38 PM

I used J B Weld on mine and it worked great. Thought I was a the only one that done crap like that.

JB Weld did cross my mind, as it would any proud red neck, but the bike is brand new and I do not want to start half assing it already.

Rest easy knowing that you are not the only one!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.