2003 starter help

12 replies to this topic
  • momudder

Posted July 02, 2005 - 05:24 PM

Does removing the gear that drives the flywheel prevent my cases from being broken? My starter motor is screeching and i did a search on this site to fix it. This was described to track down where the problem is but it was unclear if it was also a way to prevent damage from an un updated starter.

• new2blu

Posted July 02, 2005 - 07:10 PM

Go to the web site : www.wr450.com and see the photos section and click on starter upgrade and click on detailed instructions.

• momudder

Posted July 02, 2005 - 07:39 PM

That is great info for when i do the upgrade but will removing the gear protect me for now?

• 450high

Posted July 03, 2005 - 01:08 AM

I also had starter problems.I have done the upgrade last year after my flywheel key broke.My starter acted like the battery was flat.The battery checked out o.k.ON removing the starter i found the brush end metal bearing to be worn.Sorry not a yamaha part but we can sell you a new starter $450 aus the parts guy said with a smile.I bought a bearing at the local bearing shop for $ 2.90 and had a mate turn it to fit on his lathe and also put a new set of brushes in and it runs a treat.You can remove the starter from the exhaust side by pulling the muthler loosenig the headers and turning up the rmoving the oil pipe.

• mtrablue

Posted July 03, 2005 - 05:36 AM

remove the small round cover (near the starter, two bolts) and take out the idler gear inside. make sure you don't let any parts drop inside and your good to go. you'll have to kick start now but that's easy enough. if you want, you can remove the battery and save a couple pounds. tape up the wires real good and make sure they don't touch the frame (ground).

• new2blu

Posted July 03, 2005 - 05:52 PM

Does removing the gear that drives the flywheel prevent my cases from being broken? My starter motor is screeching and i did a search on this site to fix it. This was described to track down where the problem is but it was unclear if it was also a way to prevent damage from an un updated starter.

I should have added more to my earlier post. Yes,a quick fix to dis-able the stater mechanism is:
1. remove the two 8mm bolts that hold the side cover on (cover is about 3inches in diameter)
2. remove the cover, the center shaft,both washers (outside and inside),bearing and gear-----most of this will come out as one piece.

This will protect the starting system from being damaged.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • duke2au

Posted September 26, 2005 - 02:54 AM

I also had starter problems.I have done the upgrade last year after my flywheel key broke.My starter acted like the battery was flat.The battery checked out o.k.ON removing the starter i found the brush end metal bearing to be worn.Sorry not a yamaha part but we can sell you a new starter $450 aus the parts guy said with a smile.I bought a bearing at the local bearing shop for $ 2.90 and had a mate turn it to fit on his lathe and also put a new set of brushes in and it runs a treat.You can remove the starter from the exhaust side by pulling the muthler loosenig the headers and turning up the rmoving the oil pipe.

Hi i just read your post and I just got a gret deal on a 03 450. The deal cam about because of the same problem you describe. The starter just produces a relay type clicking sound, like a dead car batt. The mechanic says that its the brushes..
Do you think you might be able to help me prevent paying this guy the 400+labour by telling me some detailed information on your fix?

ta in advance...
Ben

• StreetbikePimp

Posted September 26, 2005 - 05:16 AM

I burned through a starter on my 03 wr450 also. They're junk and too small for trying to crank over the 450. The starter on my DRZ400 is almost twice as big in diameter as the one on the WR and it's got 50 less cc to crank. More evidence on the starter being to small is that the ATV 450 motor with electric start has a bigger diameter starter on it then the WR450. Yamaha must have seen a reason to "upgrade" the starter when it designed the ATV.

• Indy_WR450

Posted September 26, 2005 - 05:24 AM

Hi i just read your post and I just got a gret deal on a 03 450. The deal cam about because of the same problem you describe. The starter just produces a relay type clicking sound, like a dead car batt. The mechanic says that its the brushes..
Do you think you might be able to help me prevent paying this guy the 400+labour by telling me some detailed information on your fix?

ta in advance...
Ben

Some of the 03 starter motors had bad brush installations. Take the motor apart and try to solder the connections some motors came with poor brush installations. :banghead:

• duke2au

Posted September 26, 2005 - 11:12 PM

i just spoke to a yami dealer. He said a new set of brushes would cost 22.50. I might just go for those.... If it all works out this just might be the deal of the century. thanks for your information.

• 450high

Posted September 27, 2005 - 02:18 AM

While you have it apart it's easy enough to check the rear bearing.Its a easy job to replace the brushes.

• fitzy

Posted October 03, 2005 - 01:56 AM

Having the same problem. Are you talking about the bush in the back housing near the brushes or the bearing in the front housing near the drive cog??
Thanks. just got the bike and it has the dreaded started motor probs!!!!!!

• Spadman450

Posted October 04, 2005 - 04:34 AM

Does anyone know if the YFZ starter does in fact have more output and reliability than the WR??? It looks like a conversion could be done by replacing the left crankcase cover and the YFZ starter. The cover is taller in the starter area to allow for the larger diameter and includes a badly needed additional breather spigot. The starter mounting appears to be the same as the WR. I am not sure if all of the starter gears will swap, but the starter gear #3 and sprague (one way hub) have the same part numbers. The other issue is if the stator will exchange.

If anyone has done this, please jump in.

Don E

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.