Floppy kickstarter

5 replies to this topic
  • Brettv

Posted July 02, 2005 - 03:57 AM

G'day, anyone else experience a floppy kickstarter? when im riding it wants to come out and gets in the way, anyone know how to fix it?
cheers - Brett :)

• trailriderjoe

Posted July 02, 2005 - 04:28 AM

I'd venture to say for the age of your ride that the detent ball and spring that are supposed to keep the kickstarter in place are frozen up. Take a look and you'll see it needs a little cleaning and some grease to get it back working again.

I'm not sure if the manual has a good exploded view of the parts I'm referencing, I'll check.

• trailriderjoe

Posted July 02, 2005 - 04:34 AM

I referenced yamaha's website. The ball and spring are #20 & 21. You may want to replace #23 (o-ring) if it's dead, that helps to keep dirt from getting up around the ball. Some cleaner, and grease will be you friend in this area :)
Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Brettv

Posted July 02, 2005 - 04:49 AM

thanks heaps trailriderjoe., that helps a lot :)

• Gadsen

Posted July 02, 2005 - 06:37 AM

Huh, my kickstarter is like the day is was when I bought it new. Of course, I never use it with the e-satrt. :) My 426 started to get wobbly also. I'd remove it, clean out the dirt and lube it, seemed to help a bunch.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted July 02, 2005 - 01:06 PM

I had to replace my floppy one, ahem, kickstarter earlier this year on my '99. I tried a new o-ring and did the kind of maintenance suggested above, but it didn't help. I found a used kickstarter on eBay in good condition for about $40. It's much better now.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.