Help...going riding tomorrow but bike is backfiring!

8 replies to this topic
  • bigroj

Posted July 01, 2005 - 05:53 PM

Can someone please tell me why a bike would backfire? I have a 2004 YZ450F with about 5 total hours on it. It just started to backfire and I'm not sure why a bike would do this...any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

• Hick

Posted July 01, 2005 - 07:53 PM

Can someone please tell me why a bike would backfire? I have a 2004 YZ450F with about 5 total hours on it. It just started to backfire and I'm not sure why a bike would do this...any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Just started???

How does it run otherwise?

What were you doing, or how did you "make" it backfire?

Does it do it w/ the throttle off, on, low rpms, high rpms, in gear while riding or just on the stand in the garage?

Sorry for all questions and no answers but...

• David37

Posted July 01, 2005 - 07:59 PM

We need more information to help you with your backfire problem. Did you recently put a new pipe on or recently work on your carb., install a clean air filter? Like Hick asked when does the backfire happen?

• bigroj

Posted July 01, 2005 - 10:40 PM

Sorry guys....

It backfires when I let off the throttle (in all gears). And yes, it just started happening. This bike is bone stock, no new parts at all. I have not tuned anything on it since I bought it, including the jetting/carb. I am totally baffled by this...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • big t

Posted July 01, 2005 - 10:52 PM

Check your hot start lever. Make sure it is adjusted right and not sticking.

• bigroj

Posted July 01, 2005 - 11:01 PM

Will do, thanks!

• centermass

Posted July 02, 2005 - 03:48 PM

i'm not sure what the exact reason for your backfiring problem is .. but it could be a few things. gas turned off or not fully in the on position ,mot likely this will cause the bike to backfire or pop. it's probably the jetting.. check those things out and good luck .

• ovrrdrive

Posted July 02, 2005 - 10:59 PM

I'll almost guarantee it's a problem with the hotstart...

Pull the plunger and lubricate it and then reinstall it.

I screwed mine up once and got the same problem you describe. I reseated it and all was fine. :)

• bigroj

Posted July 03, 2005 - 10:48 PM

Yep...it was the hotstart lever. I had to hold the housing and push the hotstart lever all the way back before it would shut the valve. When I released it after using it, the lever would go back up but underneath the rubber cover, the housing would move but not the cable inside of it. I hope that makes sense. Once I lube it up it's been great.

Man I love this site.

Thanks everyone!! :) :) :D

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.