Clackity Clack Clack Clack

8 replies to this topic
  • beavis2732

Posted July 01, 2005 - 02:49 PM

Hey Guys, I just picked up a '98 400 mostly stock, and was wondering if they are supposed to sound like that (clackity clack clack clack). It isn't chain slap, I checked numerous times. It makes this sound while not moving. I am only comparing this to my Big air cooled XR which doesn't sound like that but if I remeber correctly my honda 919 did sound like that. The guy I bought it from said the valves are good but one exhaust is getting close to needing to be reshimmed. Bike runs more than perfect but that sound makes me nervous. Should I be???

Beavis

• drewpeacock

Posted July 01, 2005 - 03:40 PM

I had the 2000 and it made a lot of noise too. Especially after I put an aluminum skid on it. It is normal though.

• Hamish

Posted July 01, 2005 - 04:19 PM

they are a very 'mechanical' sounding engine, especially if you have a quiet pipe. Due to the vintage of your bike, I would hazard a guess and blame the clutch basket. They flog out between the basket and the primary drive gear and make a bit of a noise.

• Dirt_rebel

Posted July 01, 2005 - 06:35 PM

check ur swing arm chain slider..it's porbably worn off n ur drive chain is hitting on ur swingarm..beware dat if u continue riding wif a worn out chain slider, it mite end up wif a cracked swingarm..cheers!!

...DR...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Blaster21996

Posted July 01, 2005 - 07:07 PM

The great thing about overhead shimed valves, is, you can run forever without adjusting them. Though not recomended for performance sake.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted July 01, 2005 - 07:19 PM

Timing chain I would bet. Probably never been replaced. They only last so long. Check it out. Its only like $35 for a new one.

• radish150

Posted July 01, 2005 - 09:43 PM

Yah, frankly noised like that drive me freakin NUTS! I have ears like a dolphin or something, I can hear stuff starting to break long before anyone else can. I recently bought a CRM and I started hearing something, took it to a very high end mechanic, he said, oh it´s normal, I said ok your the expert. 500 miles later I had to rebuild the bearings in the bottom end. But, this gets me in trouble sometimes, I once rebuild an Audi engine cuz of a noise no one could diagnose, turned out it was a water pump bearing.. ouch. I´ve been listening to the noised in my WR400 lately, agonizing over wether or not the engine sounds are changing or getting louder. I just decided to ride the thing like I stole it and if it explodes into a million pieces well then that´s just life. I´m going to enjoy it, I just hope I´m not going 85 miles an hour when it goes. I´ve been thinking Husaberg lately anyway... hahah.

Vroom,
Mark...

• Hamish

Posted July 01, 2005 - 10:46 PM

Yah, frankly noised like that drive me freakin NUTS! I have ears like a dolphin or something, I can hear stuff starting to break long before anyone else can. I recently bought a CRM and I started hearing something, took it to a very high end mechanic, he said, oh it´s normal, I said ok your the expert. 500 miles later I had to rebuild the bearings in the bottom end. But, this gets me in trouble sometimes, I once rebuild an Audi engine cuz of a noise no one could diagnose, turned out it was a water pump bearing.. ouch. I´ve been listening to the noised in my WR400 lately, agonizing over wether or not the engine sounds are changing or getting louder. I just decided to ride the thing like I stole it and if it explodes into a million pieces well then that´s just life. I´m going to enjoy it, I just hope I´m not going 85 miles an hour when it goes. I´ve been thinking Husaberg lately anyway... hahah.

Vroom,
Mark...

MarcusMoberg?????????? :) :)

• radish150

Posted July 02, 2005 - 03:08 PM

Hey, stranger things have happened! I´d have to learn to ride in a black turtle neck shirt. Anyone seen my riding smock? :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.