cam setting plunger

3 replies to this topic
  • scooter1100

Posted July 01, 2005 - 07:37 AM

Can anyone tell me the purpose of the cam setting plunger on the XR650L? there's a spring and metal pin (plunger) in the head that rides on the camshaft decompressor... has anyone had it apart and can tell me how it functions? I'm tryin to diagnose my cam decompressor that has a sudden click at low idle :)

• chiricahua

Posted July 01, 2005 - 09:44 AM

Can anyone tell me the purpose of the cam setting plunger on the XR650L? there's a spring and metal pin (plunger) in the head that rides on the camshaft decompressor... has anyone had it apart and can tell me how it functions? I'm tryin to diagnose my cam decompressor that has a sudden click at low idle :)

I'd also like to know this. :D

From what mechanics have told me is that it runs between 500 and 900 Rpm's. It stops by cintrifical force somewhere within that range. That way the bike starts easy. (Anyone know if this is true?)

I posted this a few days ago.

http://www.thumperta...37&parentpage=2

http://www.socalspor...d.php?tid=28164

I've ordered a new Cam Assy from Al Bakers XRsOnly. I'll drop it in when I get it. Should be today or tomorrow.

I ordered it because not only was it clicking but also two of the Cam lobes had excessive wear. Plus a Rocker arm. Plus I don't have to hassle with the Decompressor thingamaBobs.

XRsOnly recommended not running the stage one Hot Cam because it doesn’t' use the Auto-Decompressor.

But allot of guys are running it without starter/battery failure.

Not sure if this helps but this is where I'm at with the Decompressor clicking noise. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crmc33

Posted August 07, 2005 - 05:10 AM

You shouldnt have any problems running the Hotcam without decomp, if you have problem starting then you could wire a small capacitor in parallel with the battery.

HTH :D

• scooter1100

Posted November 26, 2005 - 05:37 PM

when the motor kicks back, the decomp ring back spins with the cam and opens rh ex valve. The stopper pin stops the ring from spinning on the cam when turning normal direction.

I finally got it pulled apart and the rocker is worn so bad that the decompressor ring on cam is hitting the rocker (clicking). All lobes are worn but rh ex is pooched bigtime. camchain stuff looks ok but I'm gonna replace the tensioner spring anyways.

oh yeah mileage is 39000km now :applause:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.