Help!! Squirrelly front end

8 replies to this topic
  • IDWR450

Posted July 01, 2005 - 06:49 AM

Bike has recently become hard to control. It feels like I'm riding on marbles. Spokes-OK, Tire pressure-OK, Pinch bolts-OK, axle-OK. What could be causing this. I let a friend ride it to make sure it wasn't just me. He got off and said something is definitely wrong, this things is dangerous.

• ddialogue

Posted July 01, 2005 - 07:18 AM

How about the wheel bearings?

• rushfan

Posted July 01, 2005 - 07:31 AM

Triple clamps tight? :)

• byggd

Posted July 01, 2005 - 07:45 AM

Bike has recently become hard to control. It feels like I'm riding on marbles. Spokes-OK, Tire pressure-OK, Pinch bolts-OK, axle-OK. What could be causing this. I let a friend ride it to make sure it wasn't just me. He got off and said something is definitely wrong, this things is dangerous.

It is at all speeds or just high? I know on my 426 raising the forks 10mm in the triples made it a little squirrelly so I added a Scott's steering stab :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted July 01, 2005 - 08:25 AM

How long has it been since you've changed the fork oil? What are your settings on your forks? What bike? What kind of riding do you do? Wheel bearings could be the cause...

Dan

• IDWR450

Posted July 05, 2005 - 12:44 PM

Wheel bearings seem good, no slop! Triple clamp tight. this is happening at low speed. Although at high speed it seems to do the same thing with the addition of the normal headshake. Clickers are set the same on both sides. I guess it must be time to get into the forks. :)

• jerryls

Posted July 05, 2005 - 02:36 PM

Do you still have the stock Dunlop 739 on the front? Riding with that tire does feel like riding on marbles.

• jasilva

Posted July 05, 2005 - 04:39 PM

Time to grease the steering head? If its tight or binding things get squirrelly. Have you done anything to change the riding position on your bike? If your sitting back on the bike farther due to a bar change or something else the front can get loose. This is mainly when turning though.

Joe

• Matty05

Posted July 05, 2005 - 05:42 PM

I bet you that you have played around with your suspension settings. :)

Adjust them back to stock settings and bleed the air out of the fork tubes. The standard settings from factory are pretty much on the money.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.