Dual Sport Laws (California)???

12 replies to this topic
  • CJ22

Posted June 30, 2005 - 04:44 PM


Does anyone know where I can get information on exactly what I need to have on my wr 400 to be street legal in California? I have searched the web for hours and have not found answers to some specific questions. I keep getting different answers to the same question. How can I be sure? Questions I want to find answers to are:

1) Do I have to have a speedometer/odometer? (if so will a gps qualify)
2) Do I have to have mirrors and how many?
3) Are flush mount blinkers acceptable?

Any information would be very helpful. Thanks

  • moach1

Posted June 30, 2005 - 05:16 PM


good luck, i have been searching for months and cant get a straight answer. some claim they have done it, but i have yet to see one in cali.

  • byggd

Posted July 01, 2005 - 03:51 AM


My understanding is if you didnt do it before 12/31/03 it aint gonna happen unless the bike has an emission sticker. This is from the DMV website

The California Air Resources Board (ARB) established emission regulations for on-highway motorcycles beginning with 1978-year models. Off-highway motorcycles must have an emission label affixed to the vehicle indicating certification by the manufacturer for on-highway use when converting to on-highway or dual registration. Registration guidelines for off-highway motorcycles converting to on-highway or dual registration require verification of the emission label.

Off-highway motorcycles previously converted to on-highway or dual registration will not be subject to verification. Off-highway motorcycles year model 2003 and newer with a red sticker will not be allowed to convert.

NOTE: ATV OHVs cannot be originally registered for on highway use or converted to on-highway registration, regardless of aftermarket conversion kits or added equipment.

Please direct questions regarding emission certification or labeling to the California Air Resources Board at 1-800-242-4450 or visit their website at www.arb.ca.gov.

  • byggd

Posted July 01, 2005 - 07:49 AM


Check with these guys. They may have a "loop hole" <cough cough> I think the guys name is Dale?


  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted July 01, 2005 - 08:22 AM


More than anything, if you have a red sticker bike and are trying to get a plate for it you won't get passed even the dumbest DMV worker.. The first thing they do is look at the VIN number and look for the 3 or C in the 8th digit position. Dale is not a "Loophole" at all.. He's a dude that sells the best (IMO) dualsport kits on the planet. Once you get a Trickdualsport kit on your bike someone's got to sign a brake and light inspection form along with a VIN verification form that needs to be filled out by a "Peace officer",VIN verifier or a DMV clerk. No doubt the bike has all the qualifications for street use with a dualsport kit but that stuff is all fluff without a clean VIN and emissions sticker. Getting the bike fitted for street use is the easy part..

It's such BS....... :)

  • byggd

Posted July 01, 2005 - 10:41 AM


More than anything, if you have a red sticker bike and are trying to get a plate for it you won't get passed

Dan CJ22 has a 400 which is defiantly green stickered but probably still has a 3 or C in the 8th position of the VIN, I know my 02 426 does.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SmallMonkey

Posted July 01, 2005 - 12:10 PM


Hi/Lo Beam (must illuminate objects to no less than 115 feet away)
tail light/Brakelight
4 blinkers, (see note below, but I'm pretty sure they're required)
mirror on left to see 200 (2 not required)
battery that will power tail light 15 minutes with bike not running
DOT tires
Must be able to stob from 15mph in 32feet or less
Noise limited to 80dbA

I didn't see avthing in the CVC regarding Speedo/Odo or signals

Clear enough for ya? :)

  • jamesravenwood

Posted July 01, 2005 - 02:18 PM


Its even less requirements than that, go to the DMV and simply get the motorcyle license guide from the DMV, they have them laying all over the place. Its the manual you read before taking the permit test. IT has ALL the requiremnts in it, period.

  • byggd

Posted July 02, 2005 - 05:19 AM


Click on this link and go to pages 34 and 35.


  • ETP

Posted July 02, 2005 - 05:46 PM


If the original title does not say "offroad" or "dirtbike" on it, you can sneak it thru most of the time as a street bike. Or, get it street registered out of state, then bring it in to CA as a street bike. Thats what I did.

  • CJ22

Posted July 02, 2005 - 08:51 PM


Wow, thanks for all the info, but I think my question might have been a bit misleading. I bought a 98 wr 400 three years ago and it already has a licence plate on it, but nothing else. No blinkers, tail light, speedo, etc. I have never ridden it on the street before, but I want to now and I do not want to be bothered by a police officer at all. I bought the Trick Dual Sport kit and installed it, but is this enough? Do I need a speedometer? Do I need two mirrors, or is one enough? Are flush mounted blinkers okay? I keep getting different information from so many different places. What do I need to make sure I do not get pulled over? :)

  • ETP

Posted July 02, 2005 - 09:48 PM


Congratulations, since you already have the plate. As stated, it is the hard part. Basic lighting and one mirror is typical. Dale's kit will take care of the battery/lighting issues. DOT tires are required. There is some lame rule about the distance between turn indicators here in CA. The UFO headlight and tail light assemblies that have the built in indicators do not meet this requirement. I run them, but have never been hassled about it.

  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted July 03, 2005 - 06:59 AM


What ETP said....


Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.