Hmmm. What to buy? 2000 YZ426F

13 replies to this topic
  • CanRider

Posted June 30, 2005 - 12:03 PM

Whats up. here is my style.
I like trail riding. the trail around here is rather hilly, solid packed, with alot of technical trails.

I want to know, since I have already noticed a few idiosyncrisies with the bike, (I.E. heats up extremely quickly, the clutch isn't as snappy as some other bikes I have ridden)

So the questions goes out, and I have already read the other threads, but I still want to get the answers directed to me, so I can go out and start purchasing these items.

What mods or little changes can I make to my bike, that
A.) Enhance performance to my needs (preferably people who have done these mods themselves)
B.) Options that I may have, with these mods,
C.) And parts to get that make the bike look that extra bit better then everyone else's!! :)

Can't wait to start researching this stuff. Thanks Guys.

• grayracer513

Posted June 30, 2005 - 12:52 PM

The top 2:

1) The Decompression Cam Mod (YZ450 cam)

2) The '01 Clutch fix (or a Hinson plate set and pressure plate)

• crfmatt

Posted June 30, 2005 - 12:55 PM

OK...

If you want a bit more power I would suggest a aftermarket filter like twin air,uni ect.. but you may need to rejet it. While you do that if you have the money I would grab a pipe. Now about the look of the bike... (which the pipe would add to) I think one good way is with powdercoating because it adds color (any color) and it adds protection. Ill post a pic of my bike so you know what i mean...

• crfmatt

Posted June 30, 2005 - 01:26 PM

Heres that pic with the white powdercoated swingarm and blue powdercoated covers and head. Also It has an fmf pipe (head pipe cleans up great with a scotch brite pad but in this pic it looks bad because it wasnt cleaned) and a gold excell rear wheel (the orig. owner said he had a front and the rear in his truck and someone stole the front) :)

http://i9.photobucke...er/7de5246f.jpg

Close up pic: [url]
http://i9.photobucke...er/DSC00701.jpg

• wrkaholic

Posted June 30, 2005 - 01:35 PM

We are also trail riders, when I bought my son's YZ250F, I went to a 1 tooth smaller counter sprocket, I believe it is 12, to give him a lower first and second gear for the technical trails and match better with my WR426F gearing. He loved the change. After 1.5 years, he still has not decide to go back to the original countersprocket. This is a cheap change and works with the existing chain. I am not sure if you need that for your YZ426F, but, it is a cheap option, and really changes the gearing.

• Pincushion

Posted June 30, 2005 - 01:40 PM

The bike has plenty of power. Spend your money on suspension..... best mod period!!!!

• markvan

Posted June 30, 2005 - 05:28 PM

You can never go wrong with suspension, but I will also second the flywheel weight. For tight technical woods riding it's a must. That's pretty much all I ride, right now I've got a 10 oz, and wouldn't mind going a little heavier. All though the auto clutch would remove the need for anything heavier than that, and is probably the next major mod I will do...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OHVrider

Posted June 30, 2005 - 05:42 PM

Every one says the Z-start auto clutch is the greatest mod. I will probably do that next time.

Not everyone. I have one in my 450F and I probably won't get it again. First I really miss being able to bump start my bike. Second I miss the engine braking. On some TT type tracks I like my KTM better with the manual clutch cause of the massive engine braking. I also like the manual clutch better for downhills, if it stalls I can just bump start it and my Z-start does still stalls, but worse is the free wheeling.

I think I'd get a juice clutch next time as I really like that on my KTM.

Don't get me wrong the Autoclutch works as advertised and its a nice unit, but just not for me.

Cheers,

• CHEEZE13

Posted June 30, 2005 - 06:03 PM

C.) And parts to get that make the bike look that extra bit better then everyone else's!! :)

Can't wait to start researching this stuff. Thanks Guys.

Do your suspension or get a set of zipty racing hot cams f*c% that looks shit, if it don't make go faster then its just screwing up the power to weight ratio. Thats my opinion and I am sticking to it.
:)

• palmdaleRider

Posted June 30, 2005 - 08:17 PM

The 426 is a monster bike. There's bigger badder bikes out there, but the 426 was/is popular as all hell, so the available used bikes are at good prices, are plentiful, and the aftermarket stuff is huge and will remain so.

The '01 clutch fix is only a $100, simple to do, and should be done first. After that ride like the wind.

General Question for whoever, what does a heavier flywheel mod do for you? Smooth out the throttle? Minimize the engine breaking? What? And what does that usually cost?

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted June 30, 2005 - 08:34 PM

Do your suspension or get a set of zipty racing hot cams f*c% that looks shit, :)

Amen Brother!

• per_s

Posted June 30, 2005 - 11:58 PM

I would get a heavier flyweel and change the sprocket ratio to get a lower gearing if it is technical trails you will ride.

• CanRider

Posted July 03, 2005 - 06:06 PM

Thanks Guys. I am looking into the clutch, flywheel and Cam mods. They interested me. Other the that, I like the look of the yamaha of troy team decals. Nice looking bike if you ask me. As I pick these items up slowly, I will be posting and letting you know how it goes.
THANKS!

• Hick

Posted July 04, 2005 - 12:55 AM

The top 2:

1) The Decompression Cam Mod (YZ450 cam)

2) The '01 Clutch fix (or a Hinson plate set and pressure plate)

If we had a top 3 it would have to include the '01 needle, the '00 was too lean on the straight, this has to be the best $12 you can spend on an '00 YZF.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.