'98 400 head different than '00 426?

9 replies to this topic
  • sharpmarble

Posted June 30, 2005 - 09:20 AM

Does anyone know how these heads are different? (different P/N) I need a head for my 426, but the one for the 400 is cheaper.... :)

• bushy

Posted June 30, 2005 - 09:25 AM

I dont think they are different.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted June 30, 2005 - 11:18 AM

I would guess that they are the same also.

• Flash319

Posted June 30, 2005 - 11:20 AM

I would say that they are probebly different because of the Ti valves in the 426. Or was their a year of 426 with steel....?????

• sharpmarble

Posted June 30, 2005 - 02:25 PM

Wouldn't the steel valves be preferable? I know they weigh more, but you wouldn't have to worry about snapping one....(not that it's a common thing!!)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pincushion

Posted June 30, 2005 - 03:00 PM

2000 has steel valves, same as the 400's. If the numbers dont match then I would assume there is a difference.
If it were a spoke then I'd consider, but this is the head.

• sharpmarble

Posted July 01, 2005 - 05:57 AM

Anyone know for sure???? Hick, Gray, Indy??? Anyone?

• mxaction

Posted July 01, 2005 - 10:35 AM

If the numbers dont match there is a difference.

• Hick

Posted July 01, 2005 - 07:32 PM

Anyone know for sure???? Hick, Gray, Indy??? Anyone?

There is no difference that I know of, but I'm not certain they are identical. I am sure enough that I would not hesitate to swap one for the other on my own bike.

If the numbers dont match there is a difference.

This is not necessarily true, sometimes the PN will change to signify a different model or different supplier despite the part being the same for all practical purposes.

• lightestYZF

Posted July 03, 2005 - 06:51 AM

There is at least one major difference in the 98/99 head versus the 00-02.
In 98/99 the hot start was separate from the carb. The intake between the carb and intake valves has a port or tube cast in that the remote hot start connects to. Using a 98/99 head on a 00 to 02 would require blocking that off or installing a second hot start like the one ty davis sells.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.