Maxxis Desert IT...Not so much!

52 replies to this topic
  • clark4131

Posted February 20, 2007 - 07:50 PM

Does the regular IT have a softer compound and does it have a stickier rubber compound than the Desert IT???

The difference is a thicker/stiffer sidewall on the Desert version...the compound is the same...SC

• steve lemley

Posted February 20, 2007 - 08:39 PM

:lol:

What size you running?
The 120-100-18 is the best wearing non DOT tire Ive ever run.

WOW what is going on here:confused: . I cant keep my front end down when I put a new desert IT on:thinking: . I have ran some of the nastiest terrain in cali and this is my 4th desert IT:lol: . I havent lost one knob from baja to Kennedy meadows. The tire seems sooooooo predictable and fluid to me. I have to reinterate the fact that I think you got a bad batch of tires Clark:excuseme: ........ These tires are everything anyone could ever ask for. No flats EVER. predictable traction. great price and they wear like iron. Look at all the tires run in the Baja or enduro races. 80% are maxxis for a good reason. Dont give up on the tire.:applause: Try it again and im sure you will have a different opinion. My set up is 120 100 80 rear desert max IT, Front (the IT front sucks) go with the SI front. Its a winning combo just watch the reruns of baja, one of the only tires ran because you have a good chance you wont have to change it all race unlike the dunlop which pinches easier and wear almost twice as fast and cost more ???!!!!!!!!:applause:

• WheelsUp

Posted February 20, 2007 - 09:11 PM

Agreed... mine has been great.

I'll take rocks over sand any day... and my Dez IT doesn't let me down.

• BOLT Performance

Posted February 20, 2007 - 09:30 PM

I run nothing but DESERT IT now... Your experience sounds very off... Check and make sure you didn't just have an out of balance of mismounted carcass.

Read my experience:

Dunlops BAD ! Cycle Gear Good !

In fact, I just bought 3 more to have on hand. The wear is so good that I can change them at half wear and still outlast the Dunlop. It is a big bike tire though in my opinion. I would use the softer standard IT for a smaller bike. I ride an XR600R and a KTM525MXC.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted February 21, 2007 - 06:22 PM

I run the D952 on the rear with the UHD tubes and I have no problems. So far, it has lasted about 8 rides, including 4 enduros. It shows some wear, but still works great.

I keep it at 13psi though. I am never a big fan of lots of wheel spin.

I've got minor dinks in my rim, but no flats.

• luissuperdog

Posted February 21, 2007 - 09:37 PM

I ride fast speed dirt roads 50 to 100mph. Lots of rocks and hard pack. I been using different tires Dunlops 756/739/952 they got done after 50 to 75 miles riding. I usualy ride about 50 to 80 miles per day.They do good on sand and soft terrain but not if you are dealing with gravel rocky terrain. I used the maxxis and what a good tire i put about 300 miles on the same terrain and the tires are still looking good. I did a race with them in Nevada BITD. They look like new after 300 miles on sand. I realy didn't have any problems cornering or with traction. I'll be using them to pre run in San Felipe this year
we plan on doing 120 miles per day and hope they hold for the whole week. Ill be using first the same set I used for BITD I just want to see how far they can go.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BOLT Performance

Posted February 21, 2007 - 09:44 PM

I got about 600 all off road miles on the Maxxis... I don't run them bald either... No Dunlop can do that.

• Desracer

Posted February 21, 2007 - 11:11 PM

I have rode with the Desert IT tire and while it lacks in traction, it does not tear or chunk. I have rode in the Reno area so I know the conditions. I run a 120-18 tire, and have tried 6 psi to 16 psi looking for hook up. Not that a tire cant be just bad and fall apart. While my tire still looks good I dont like it so I wont change it. Yours is shot and wouldnt work right anyway so it's a push. My friends all run Maxis it tires and swear by them, I just swear at the desert it.

• standup rider

Posted February 22, 2007 - 07:14 AM

I bought my WR400 with 739's and thought I made a mistake buying the bike because it would not track straight in the sand, front end would not hold well in the corners and all around just was not good. Went to thumpertalk and asked what to do and was told the tires are junk for sand and intermediate terrain that I ride here in Michigan. I questioned whether or not it could be tires but I went ahead and bought what was recommended which was Maxxis IT in back & SI in front. It was a whole new bike, tracks straight in sand corners to the point where I thought I would have to lay it down a few times but the tires held and brought me back up. Have about 400 miles on them and there is no reason to change them yet. I am a big fan of this combo.That's my two cents.

• Seabass

Posted February 23, 2007 - 10:45 AM

I'll be trying out a set of the Pirelli MT 18's this week. I've been using the Maxxis Desrt IT in back with the SI in front for over a year. The last couple of sets of the Maxxis' didn't last long at all. They chunked up very quickly and were really slippery in the hard stuff.

• BOLT Performance

Posted February 23, 2007 - 02:51 PM

Do you guys think Maxxis has started to pull the bait and switch now that some of us are big fans ? I just bought three new rears to keep on hand... I'll be the first to post up if my great experience with the tires starts changing.

• SJMC_DON

Posted February 23, 2007 - 05:45 PM

A lot of talk about how good the Desert IT rear is and I second all of it, I ride primarily s-12's year round except for one week of Desert riding each spring. I was tired of getting flats each year with the Dunlops and someone mentioned the Maxxis so I picked up a set. 700 miles and the tires still look relatively new:thumbsup: . 700 miles and no flats:thumbsup:. 700 miles of good hook up in the rear:thumbsup: .

700 miles and about 37 front end wash outs:thumbsdn: That piece of :applause: front tire ain't worth using to start a f:censored:ing fire:foul:

I was carrying Maxxis as a sponsor and the SI's were OK but could not compete in the NW terrain with the S-12's but I will always throw that IT on the rear for Desert riding I think it's an awesome tire and I'm sure by now we all know how I feel about the front :applause: .

• BOLT Performance

Posted February 23, 2007 - 05:52 PM

A lot of talk about how good the Desert IT rear is and I second all of it, I ride primarily s-12's year round except for one week of Desert riding each spring. I was tired of getting flats each year with the Dunlops and someone mentioned the Maxxis so I picked up a set. 700 miles and the tires still look relatively new:thumbsup: . 700 miles and no flats:thumbsup:. 700 miles of good hook up in the rear:thumbsup: .

700 miles and about 37 front end wash outs:thumbsdn: That piece of :applause: front tire ain't worth using to start a f:censored:ing fire:foul:

I was carrying Maxxis as a sponsor and the SI's were OK but could not compete in the NW terrain with the S-12's but I will always throw that IT on the rear for Desert riding I think it's an awesome tire and I'm sure by now we all know how I feel about the front :applause: .

I've never run the Desert IT on the front. Always matched the Maxxis rear with the Bridgestone ED11 per a friends suggestion. The ED11 was something I hgad to grow into... But I wouldn't change it now. I also think the Maxxis DEZ-IT is a big bike tire. Not sure it works the same on a 250cc and a 160 pound rider. I run mine on an XR600 and MXC525 and I'm a big guy.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.