Maxxis Desert IT...Not so much!

52 replies to this topic
  • clark4131

Posted July 02, 2005 - 06:11 AM

15 is in the manual, but I've gotten pinch flats at that pressure. I upped it to 19 to avoid them. After speaking with some of the local shops, that's what they recommended...SC

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted July 02, 2005 - 07:25 AM

15psi is the highest I'll ever go.. Life's too short to run 19 Steve-o. :) Man, you lose so much traction with that pressure. I'll mostly run 13 all around depending on the terrain, sometimes I go lower as the speeds slow down.

• Mike Grady

Posted July 02, 2005 - 07:51 AM

That sounds like the problem. 15 PSI max if you are in real rocks. Not the little sissy things. How much do you weigh? I am 250 and I run 15 for rock 12 to 14 for everything else. At 19 you were lucky to have gotten any grip. The new IT has stiffer side walls for desert. If you weigh less than 200 try 14 psi next trip and let us know if that takes care of the problem. If you are over 200 try 15 psi. With 19 pounds something had to give and in this case it was the knobs..... :)

Smiles, Mike

• clark4131

Posted July 02, 2005 - 10:16 AM

Stupid damn local shop geeks! I'm running 225, so I guess I'll air down a bit :) . I've got a few more rides left in her, so we'll see...SC

• WheelsUp

Posted July 02, 2005 - 11:30 AM

Ya, the whole point in the Desert IT is it's a stiffer carcass to help avoid pinch flats. Other than that, it's supposed to be the same compound as the regular IT, so if anything, the Dez IT at 12psi should act like an original IT at, oh, say 15.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted July 05, 2005 - 06:41 AM

I just purchased front and rear the Maxxis Desert IT specifically for a 150 mile desert ride which was rock infested and I mean every size and shape of rock you can think of. At one point in the ride we went some 10 or 15 miles on a rock bed with no relief.

I softened my suspension considerably to make up for the 20 psi in the tires. Obviously at that high a psi there are certain traction characteristics that were not desirable but there was no pinch flat and that was the main concern on this ride.

The tire condition at the end of the ride was awsome. Only a slight bit of rounding. No slashes, no cracks, no chunks, no missing lugs front or rear. I was impressed cause this is on a tire eating torque monster XR650R with 13 - 51 sprockets.

Because of the stiffer sidewalls (there is supposed to be a little different composition in the tire to prevent chunking) next time I do this I will try 15 or 16 psi instead of 20. That may help the handling characteristics somewhat.

As far as durability goes I am completely impressed with this tire. Only time will tell if I like the handling characteristics. I need to lower the psi and take it on some real technical riding.

Did you soften your suspension when you ran 19 psi in the tire? As suggested by someone else in this thread, something has got to give and if your suspension wasn't taking up the impact the tire would.

• WGP

Posted July 05, 2005 - 09:14 AM

I'm running Maxxis Desert IT's front and rear, 14 psi, Reno/Tahoe, :) :)
You might be losing some traction but the tires are stiffer and less chance for a flat and just last longer.
If Dunlops were cheaper I would probably stay with those and buy 3 sets at a time :D

• Patster

Posted March 11, 2006 - 08:29 AM

So who has gone from an S12 to a Desert IT?

I ran with a new Desert IT last weekend and wasn't particularly impressed. I suppose the tire will wear longer, but it sure seemed to slip around a lot in the sandy stuff. Even 5th gear down a wash, if I nailed the throttle I could feel the back end slipping sideways. It's only been one weekend of riding, so I don't want to judge too soon, but at this point I think I prefer the S12.

• SANG

Posted March 11, 2006 - 08:11 PM

steve, rush and all the maxxis does make your rear try to pass the front the m12 does the same thing ,the s12 works killer in the desert tracks straight and handles great also ,you have to try the pirelli mt44/mt32 combo i got 1700 dual sport miles out of the last set in the reno/gardnerville area , try the 110 the shorter tire helps the bike turn better than the 120 most of the desert 450 racers are using 110s...

• Matty05

Posted March 11, 2006 - 09:39 PM

Went out yesterday with the new tire on the rear and it was not a good experience. The tire did not give good traction on the loose granite and intermittent sandy desert conditions. My rear end was loose and wanted to come around on me all day. When I got home, the thing had chunked out worse than any tire I've seen of late. Whole lugs had cracked off completely with even more looking like "hanging chads." I think the compound is too hard for the conditions here in Reno, the Dunlop 739 I replaced did much better. I'm going to give it one or two more rides to see how it fairs, but I don't think it'll last much past that. Thankfully it was fairly cheap at $43 from Chaparral. I'll give the SI a shot next...SC

Good thing I couldn't get Maxxis tyres!

I got 2 brand new Dunlop 952's sitting here ready to go on the bikes.
I strongly recommend you try! :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matty05

Posted March 11, 2006 - 09:45 PM

Old_Man_Time, 20 psi?
My god, that would have handled like crap!!!! 15psi is the hardest I would go.

You can feel the grip difference between say 15psi and 12 psi.
Next time you go for a tide, try some different tire pressures.

Try ultra heavy duty tubes to prevent pinch flats, they are like 4mm thick.

• cubera

Posted March 11, 2006 - 09:57 PM

Ok in comparison I want to introduce a new tire in the list of tires in discussion. The Pirelli MT18. A similar tread pattern, and intermediate to hard terrain as well as same price range. Does anybody have any input on that tire for refrence?

I run an MT18 front and a D756 rear. D756 lasts pretty long on the XR4 but would not put it on a bike with more wheel spin. Great combo for So. CA, AZ, and Baja terrains IME. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• ttr225ttr

Posted March 11, 2006 - 10:09 PM

I know the regular max cross IT is different from the Desert IT but I love my tire...maybe you got a bad tire?

• clark4131

Posted March 11, 2006 - 11:03 PM

Just to dispell any misconceptions...when I first created the thread, I was very new with the bike and still working out a lot of "getting to know you" issues, i.e. jetting, tire compounds, pressures, etc. I now run a Maxxis IT on the rear exclusively and I love the tire. I vary between a standard IT and a Desert IT, depending on which one I can for less. I run my pressure at 14.5 PSI with Bridgestone UHD tubes and I couldn't be happier. It's a do-anything tire that lasts forever, hooks up great and gives me a warm fuzzy feeling in my secret places. Viva la Maxxis! :thumbsup: ...SC

• Humunn

Posted March 11, 2006 - 11:04 PM

I'm surprised. I've run Dunlop 739s and 756s in the Oregon high desert and just got back from a 5 day Baja ride where 5 of us ran the Maxxis Desert IT. The IT is hands down a tougher tire and much cheaper than either the 739 or 756. We all noticed it seemed a bit slippery on hard rocky surfaces but that you would expect that when you are running a higher PSI.

• eissinger4

Posted February 19, 2007 - 02:42 PM

Ok in comparison I want to introduce a new tire in the list of tires in discussion. The Pirelli MT18. A similar tread pattern, and intermediate to hard terrain as well as same price range. Does anybody have any input on that tire for refrence?

IMO, stay away from the MT18. I live in Northern Nevada where the terrain is rocky. This is by far the worst wearing and chunking tire I have had on my 06 WR450 yet!! I will certainly never get another one.

• ksrrider

Posted February 20, 2007 - 11:31 AM

Old_Man_Time, 20 psi?
My god, that would have handled like crap!!!! 15psi is the hardest I would go.

You can feel the grip difference between say 15psi and 12 psi.
Next time you go for a tide, try some different tire pressures.

Try ultra heavy duty tubes to prevent pinch flats, they are like 4mm thick.

I run between 15 & 18 psi for racing desert with the IT rear. But I'm getting tired of that tire due to it's lack of traction. I know running high pressure sucks, but when racing in places like Lucerne Valley, Ca. you need to because it is a perpetual rock garden. I also run the Bridgestone ultra heavy duty tubes with lots of baby powder in tire and on tube. It's funny how you get used to the high pressure and you never go back to running low pressure, even when play riding.

• baja4lif3

Posted February 20, 2007 - 02:24 PM

i love mine hook up great at the track and down here in AZ running the 120

• byggd

Posted February 20, 2007 - 02:36 PM

I put a regular IT on my son's 04 YZ450 and it's directional, almost a paddle tire effect the way the lugs are patterned. He road the crap out of it over the weekend in the high desert, lots of sand and rocks and it still looks great!

• Jwar1r1t3

Posted February 20, 2007 - 04:41 PM

J I now run a Maxxis IT on the rear exclusively and I love the tire. I vary between a standard IT and a Desert IT, depending on which one I can for less.

When you have gone back and forth between those 2, what differences did you notice between them if any???

I have had the Desert IT on my XR 250 and it is the best tire I have ever used. It is perfect for the terrain I ride. I have not yet changed from the 756 on my 06 wr 450 and would like to try the Maxxis Desert IT or the regular IT.

Does the regular IT have a softer compound and does it have a stickier rubber compound than the Desert IT???

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.