Maxxis Desert IT...Not so much!

Went out yesterday with the new tire on the rear and it was not a good experience. The tire did not give good traction on the loose granite and intermittent sandy desert conditions. My rear end was loose and wanted to come around on me all day. When I got home, the thing had chunked out worse than any tire I've seen of late. Whole lugs had cracked off completely with even more looking like "hanging chads." I think the compound is too hard for the conditions here in Reno, the Dunlop 739 I replaced did much better. I'm going to give it one or two more rides to see how it fairs, but I don't think it'll last much past that. Thankfully it was fairly cheap at $43 from Chaparral. I'll give the SI a shot next...SC

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to go with the IT's. But the buzz on the IT's were that they were a pretty good tire at a cheap price. Around here the prices have skyrocketed (around $65)!!! I have loved the Dunlop 752 tire. It worked great everywhere. Sadly they discontinued it. However, they have now introduced the 952, and my first impression (from 2 rides) is it is just the same if not better than the 752. It was just at $60. FWIW I'd go with it again.

I have a 120 on with the the Desert IT, but I'm going back to the 110 for the new IT. I don't like the characteristics of the wider tire, it felt like it was skating around too much and wanted to come around on me...SC

I ahve the si's front and rear. They have been great. I ride semi packed, soft sand, and lately fire roads and rocky trails. They have been holding up. I am seein wear. I dont want to burn them up. they are my off road racing tires. I was thinking about getting the IT. who knows.

Ok in comparison I want to introduce a new tire in the list of tires in discussion. The Pirelli MT18. A similar tread pattern, and intermediate to hard terrain as well as same price range. Does anybody have any input on that tire for refrence?

I have an 02 xr400, and the differences between the xr and my 05 wr450 are like apples and oranges. 2 totally different bikes. And it seems that the tires are the same way. The xr seems to work well with m12's and d606's. While the wr seems to want d756's and maxxis IT's. Can you vise-versa these tires? Why does it seem that each bike has its own cult of tires. ?

BTW...Sorry for the xr comparison ?