Gearing - 15 Tooth Didn't fit??

23 replies to this topic
  • Dodger

Posted June 30, 2005 - 05:42 AM

Trying to gear down my '01 for a little street riding, mostly so I can enjoy a ride to work in the morning. Bought a 15 tooth for the front, but the chain rubs the engine case where the clutch enters :) . Does anyone run a 15 up front? I kinda thought that it should work. I suppose my next option is to gear the back down. Any good gearing suggestions??

• jchantzWR400F

Posted June 30, 2005 - 06:12 AM

Not sure what to say. Are you sure you actually have a 15 t sprocket? I can ensure you that a 15 will fit on my 99. Should be the same for 98-02 models...

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted June 30, 2005 - 06:34 AM

Dodger, where is it getting hung up on? The only thing that ever gets in my way is the stock chain slider that wraps around the swingarm. If that's the case, you can loosen the bolts that hold the chainslider on and make enough clearance for the 15T counter to slide on.. It fits...

Dan

• Dodger

Posted June 30, 2005 - 10:48 AM

Dodger, where is it getting hung up on? The only thing that ever gets in my way is the stock chain slider that wraps around the swingarm. If that's the case, you can loosen the bolts that hold the chainslider on and make enough clearance for the 15T counter to slide on.. It fits...

Dan

I dremeled that back to fit the sprocket. When I actually put the chain over the sprocket, and slide it on the shaft, the chain over the sprocket hits the engine case in front of the drive train, the part where the clutch cable, and the shaft for that goes down into the engine case (like the overall gain in diameter expands the chain out too much). I'll be taking another look at it tonight, but it sure didn't want to fit on last night. And it'd definately a 15 tooth. I know that your supposed to be able to run them :) .

• PumpkinHumper

Posted June 30, 2005 - 11:11 AM

Hmm this is interesting. My bud has a new 15 tooth that I was gonna grab for use on my YZ400. I want to install some street tires and gear it up for a little super motard comute to work. But if that 15 tooth dont clear that wont be good. I know the 13 tooth on mine wont cut it for street use for long.

• Hamish

Posted July 01, 2005 - 04:21 AM

a 15T front comes standard fitment on all WR's in australia.
Some chains are wider than others. This may be your problem.

• Dodger

Posted July 01, 2005 - 05:53 AM

a 15T front comes standard fitment on all WR's in australia.
Some chains are wider than others. This may be your problem.

OK, not to loose any credit here, but no need trying to install sprockets after your third pale ale :), it goes on much better a lot closer to sober :) .

• PumpkinHumper

Posted July 01, 2005 - 06:33 AM

OK, not to loose any credit here, but no need trying to install sprockets after your third pale ale :), it goes on much better a lot closer to sober :) .

Dude..... :D

:D

• TallBoysWRF

Posted July 01, 2005 - 08:14 PM

I have a 15 on my 99, and it fits fine. I'm running a DID520VM and it has plenty of clearance. :)

• radish150

Posted July 01, 2005 - 09:20 PM

runnin 15-49 on my 99 too, no problem except the front wheel seems stuck to the ground.

mark...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cuznjames

Posted July 01, 2005 - 09:46 PM

I know you cant run a 13-45 combo. the chain eats a hole in the swing arm because thats what it did to mine. if you do run it, it will do good on the street. i raced my buddys kx500 and its geared for the desert at 120mph and i run right next to him. i have a 04 wr 450f.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted July 02, 2005 - 07:19 AM

Dodger, have you tried mounting the sprocket completely on the shaft then "Rolling" the chain on the sprocket while the gearbox in in neutral? It should roll on.....

I think Hamish is on to something. You don't have a "One-off" WR with special engine cases.. Either that sprocket is the wrong sprocket or that chain is too big... What chain are you using?

Dan

• FZ1426

Posted July 02, 2005 - 02:40 PM

Better change your motto. :D

• Dodger

Posted July 03, 2005 - 07:50 PM

Better change your motto. :D

:)

...never beyond cure........ :)

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted July 04, 2005 - 06:40 AM

Where do we stand with the sprocket? How's she lookin?

• Matty05

Posted July 04, 2005 - 05:43 PM

My bike came with 14/50 gearing standard and a 15 in the spares pack.
I put the 15 on just because I can and it made 2nd and 3rd more usable. 4th was about the same but it would die in the ass in 5th.

I can still get about 160 - 170km/h out of 14/50 on the road but i don't trust the speedo too much. My mates YZ250WR's speedo died after only 3kms!

I put the 14 back on and I am thinking about even going to a 13 front or a 52 rear.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted July 07, 2005 - 02:36 PM

Bump.... Any news on this?

• Joe Reitman

Posted August 25, 2005 - 02:38 PM

Installed 15t last night on '05. Tight fit but fine. Stock chain.

Just had to slide wheel forward 6mm or so.

Now it wheelies smoothly to near vertical when I snap the throttle in 2nd, setting up a nice 3 gear wheelie, instead of just wanting to loop out like it did with 14t. :D

Much more rideable on the road now. :D

• TallBoysWRF

Posted August 25, 2005 - 04:06 PM

exactly! :D

• Bamster

Posted August 25, 2005 - 07:20 PM

My 99 had a 15 on it when I bought. I flip between 14 and a 13 now. It's still kick'in around in my tool box somewhere but it did fit ok.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.