Modified PMB insert.

5 replies to this topic
  • radish150

Posted June 29, 2005 - 09:41 PM

Intact, that thing sounded awfull on my bike. Too quiet and really spitty, no tone whatsoever. So, I drilled out about half the holes and that ripened up the sound nicely, still reasonably quiet. Took me down one jet size though and does suck some life out of the poor beast, but not as badly as it did before. Works for me, but before it sounded like a chinese 125 with an exhaust leak.

Mark...

• ddialogue

Posted June 30, 2005 - 05:17 AM

It appears it was working as designed! In it's stock form, it keeps the noise output under 96db.

• Stinson

Posted June 30, 2005 - 09:59 AM

does it sound deeper with the holes drilled?? I know I hate the pff pff pff sound of mine. I cut some off the tube and the seemed to help alot, but its just a louder pfff pfff. I want it to sound a little deeper. I was worried that if I drilled holes it would sound really wierd. Cya Stinson

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • colo-mikey

Posted June 30, 2005 - 02:44 PM

I also drilled out 6 (IIRC) holes and tapped them for 1/4" pipe plugs, that way I could always install 1 or all pipe plugs for tuneability(?) I haven't had the need to yet , it seems to work just fine with the 6 holes drilled .

• billygoat

Posted June 30, 2005 - 05:28 PM

I run a quietproducts insert. It is a 1 1/2diameter pipe with a turn down that doesn't sound foo foo. Tried the pmb and thought it was a little too restrictive for me.

• radish150

Posted July 01, 2005 - 09:57 PM

Man you put threads in the holes? Thats pretty... um, finicky! Actually, it´s pretty smart.

Quoted material:
does it sound deeper with the holes drilled?? I know I hate the pff pff pff sound of mine. I cut some off the tube and the seemed to help alot, but its just a louder pfff pfff. I want it to sound a little deeper. I was worried that if I drilled holes it would sound really wierd. Cya Stinson

Deeper? I wish I could say it turned it into a subtle baritone, but it didnt. I turned the POOF into more of a WHACK! I bit deeper yes, but not nearly so pissy sounding. I doubt it´s still at a legal level. Actually, my suspicion is that the Baja Designs is a better unit, even though it´s a bit clunky looking. Personaly, I want a YOSH!

mark...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.