want to race??????

17 replies to this topic
  • jackrabbit tx

Posted June 29, 2005 - 07:17 PM

Here is my deal been on the 650lL for about three mounths( have 6 years of street rideing on a Harley) now I want to start looking into raceing that I can get into with the 650L. I need some sugestions on the style of raceing that the 650L fits into.
I will not be running Baha I have the average guy budjet so I need to stick with that. Could use hookup on Enduro rideing routs and clubs in Texas.

• PowerCell

Posted June 29, 2005 - 07:31 PM

Better just sell the "L".

Decide what type of racing you want to get into, and buy an appropriate ride... :)

• irondude

Posted June 29, 2005 - 08:32 PM

The ama is a good place to start.

• justicedone

Posted June 29, 2005 - 09:23 PM

I would think Hare Scrambles..but not sure, sorry

I just race my buddies and trail ride for fun :)

• ghoti

Posted June 30, 2005 - 04:45 AM

Check out offroadtexas.net.

• hill5150

Posted June 30, 2005 - 08:16 AM

Better just sell the "L".

Decide what type of racing you want to get into, and buy an appropriate ride... :)

Listen to him and Buy an app "R" op "R" iate bike for the job................ :)

• XR650L_Dave

Posted June 30, 2005 - 08:25 AM

Trials!

D

• DesertWill

Posted June 30, 2005 - 09:01 AM

You could also use it for dual sport rides. Not so competitive (yet organized), but this will allow you to ride with others on and off road. I think finishing one would give you quite a bit of gratification. Years ago I did a 500 mile dual sport ride (w/ XT 600) from Northern to Southern California. What a blast!

I think of my L as an adventure bike not a race bike. Lately, I've been wanting to ride it through Death Valley but every day has been windy here in the Mojave and now it's getting too hot. Perhaps I'll take a ride out to Calico Ghost town or something. Good luck in finding ur calling.

• miguelitro

Posted June 30, 2005 - 11:32 AM

well lets see- no trials no motox no woods racing no street racing,
yeah the L is really good for dual sport rides though
GNCC? Drag racing, super moto stock class?

joking but the L is not a competition ride try an r sometime and you'll really understand. You would have the best luck in open desert racing with as little tight stuff as possible, dont know much bout texas except that everything is bigger
Mike

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BWB63

Posted June 30, 2005 - 11:45 AM

The XR650L is the off-spring of the XR600R and that was some what a race bike.

Money might be a factor but, a 10.5:1 piston, cam, pumper carburetor, header/muffler, uni air filter, suspension reworked, strip the bike of the extra 15~20 pounds (still can be a duel sport) lighter lights, lighter header/muffler, smog junk - file it, plastic gas tank, lot's of little stuff and you can get the ready to ride weight down to 334 pounds and put 50 horsepower to the ground :) Basicly a 650cc XR600r with electric start. Then it could be raced :)

• DesertWill

Posted June 30, 2005 - 01:34 PM

Besides my XRL I also have a 2004 KX500. In the desert, the XRL isn’t even in the same universe with the KX. The KX is 233 pounds and 56 horses stock. Open it up and it's like hitting hyper drive. The periphery goes fuzzy; in a blink you’re going 100 mph. I can't imagine racing a 650L. Not to say it can’t be done but it’s the wrong machine for racing.

Once in a while I see the Team Honda guys riding 650Rs. But, the view isn’t long as it quickly turns into a faint cloud of dust going across the valley. I’ll swear they are going over 120 mph.

It’s better to pick the racing style your best at and prefer first. Then buy the right bike.

The XRL is my favorite bike. I use it to run to the store, hit McDonalds, go to the mountains and take adventures across the desert. The fact that it can multi-task is why I like it.

• jackrabbit tx

Posted June 30, 2005 - 02:21 PM

Adventure/ tore Dualsport rides sounds good to me. Thats more my speed anyway.

• ghoti

Posted July 01, 2005 - 04:47 AM

[quote name='BWB63']The XR650L is the off-spring of the XR600R and that was some what a race bike.

Now come on B dub, Didn't the XR600R win a few of them Bajas :)

• BWB63

Posted July 01, 2005 - 03:20 PM

Yes it did, but, the KX500 was/is better. Those races where Honda Money paying for a win :) lot's of cheating in those years. It was off the chart cheating. The riders were awesome and made the most out of the 628cc XR600R they were racing. Suspension and the extras were off the chart also, Like Honda's XR650R they race now, you can't get the same suspension if you tried. The riders are top of the line. Yes, I think they are faster then any of the compotion.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted July 07, 2005 - 06:20 AM

the xr650l isnt a race bike unless u put about 5000 dollars into it. And at that, you would be racing baja so forget it.

• SaltyWalrus

Posted July 07, 2005 - 11:59 AM

Come on, BWB! The XR600R was a race bike...with a little setup work (suspension tuning). Look what Scott Summers used to do on one that was much closer to stock than some would think. I know, Summers is a special rider, but the bike was still a part of the equation.

• PowerCell

Posted July 07, 2005 - 12:12 PM

An XR650L + $5000 = a very nice touring bike. Don't plan on racing it anytime soon...

• ghoti

Posted July 07, 2005 - 12:15 PM

He just said he wanted to race...not win :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.