Gearing for Dual Sport and Desert Bombing Runs

4 replies to this topic
  • DualSport650

Posted June 29, 2005 - 04:16 PM

Alright.

Looks like I'm going to go with higher gearing for my dual sport and desert bombing runs. From the recommendation on this board, I go with 15/47 sprockets.

Someone said they run that gearing with the stock chain length and are able to swap to 14 tooth CS for tight trails... still with the STOCK chain length.

So, what is the stock chain length on the Honda XR650R??? :)

Thanks for the help. :)

• JackAttack

Posted June 29, 2005 - 07:05 PM

15/47 is some pretty tall gearing.

If you run out of gears WOT on a bomb run with that gearing, you've got some sack.

:)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • irondude

Posted June 29, 2005 - 07:19 PM

try going with 15-48.
that way you can swap from 13-48 to 14-48 to 15-48...its a very very tight fit-but it will work (no Terraflex at the extremes)

Baja racers use 15-47 (some go as low as 15-45) but 15-48 wfo in 5th off road is going to be about 93-96mph....you dont need to go faster.

To pull this gearing you should have it uncorked AND the holes in the side of the airbox...

• smashinz2002

Posted June 29, 2005 - 07:41 PM

A 15T front sprocket in combination with the stock rear sprocket, would NOT fit my stock chain. I have read several posts in the past, who used this combination with the stock chain with no problems, but mine was so tight there was no way to get the axle far enough forward for the chain to fit. And I know it's the stock chain since I bought the bike new in '00.
So anyway I don't know what's up with that, but that's my experience with it. There is such a small amount of axle movement available, and the tire would have been like dragging the mud guard, because even with stock gearing, the tire rubs the mud guard. . So my only solution was to replace the chain with one that had more links. Sorry but can't remember the number of links used.
Now that I have a longer chain, the 15/47 gearing is great for high speed and dual sport, easily pulling over a hundred. The 650R engine is so powerful that I'm sure you could go with even higher gearing and it should'nt drag it down too much on power.

• DualSport650

Posted June 29, 2005 - 09:59 PM

Alright.

I'm down with what IronDude said and will go with 15/48.

Free IronDude! :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.