2001WR426 exhaust header

3 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 02, 2001 - 02:48 PM

If I let my WR426 tickover (idle) for more than 1 minute, the header starts to glow red at the section which meets the cylinder head. Does anyone else have this symptom?....
When riding under any conditions it doesn't happen just at idle. the bike is new..... starts well, hot or cold, and runs perfectly.
Yamaha UK technical advice told me not to let it idle!
Any other input?
Derek B, United kingdom

• RAZOR

Posted March 02, 2001 - 02:53 PM

Derek, this topic has been discussed in detail. Go back to previous posts, on this very topic. It's normal on WR's...Don't worrrrry about it.
RAZOR

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 02, 2001 - 03:44 PM

A stock stainless header will glow red because of its thin wall. You will notice after a while the header will turn blue from the heat. It's normal.

• Snowman

Posted March 09, 2001 - 01:38 PM

Originally posted by DerekB:
If I let my WR426 tickover (idle) for more than 1 minute, the header starts to glow red at the section which meets the cylinder head. Does anyone else have this symptom?....
When riding under any conditions it doesn't happen just at idle. the bike is new..... starts well, hot or cold, and runs perfectly.
Yamaha UK technical advice told me not to let it idle!
Any other input?
Derek B, United kingdom

I'am glad iam not the only one Ive been riding and working on dirt bikes for over 14 years all 2 stroke dirt bikes and I just sold my CR500 for a 2001 YZ426. Soon as I get it home and start it I see the exaust turn red and freek....LOL I figured it out on my own buy pulling the plug and seeing the bike was still on the rich side. Then put 2 and 2 together and figured out it was just the thin walled exaust that let it glow. Enjoy your new WR but remember to pull the baffle restricter and the throttle stop to get the power you deserve.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.