Oil What Type?

7 replies to this topic
  • superflymx

Posted June 29, 2005 - 02:19 PM

I have a 2005 XR650L with 560 miles I changed the oil at 240 miles. I put Mobil 1 15w50 was this wise to do or should I change it? The bike runs fine.

• GlocksRock

Posted June 29, 2005 - 02:24 PM

Your probably ok, but I have read that the newer formulations of M1 15w50 have more moly. Personally if it were my bike I would leave in the oil until your next scheduled change, but then switch to either a heavy duy diesel oil, like Shell Rotella, or a motorcycle specific oil.

• DesertWill

Posted June 29, 2005 - 04:21 PM

I run M1 15-50wt oil in my XRL, RMZ, DRZ & KX500. The XRL has about 7000 miles on it now. I think this is a good oil for the application.

Some oils, those that say energy conserving on the weight logo on the bottle, have friction reducing additives (modifiers). Wet clutches won't work with these. Too slippery. Since motorcycles with wet clutches can't have really slippery oil, the main benefit to using M1 15-50 is that it maintains its viscosity better than others.

Here's a better explanation:
http://www.nightride...ch/oiltest1.htm

I've been changing my oil at 1000 mile intervals but I think that is too often. The oil is a slightly amber at that time but seems to have the same viscosity as it did when it came from the bottle. As with the test above. I think I'll go to changing the oil at 1500 miles.

• Jack Roberge

Posted June 30, 2005 - 10:36 AM

DesertWill, that was a very good article on oils. Everyone should read it. It confirms what most people think but didn't have the testing results to back up their suspicions. Another example of how were getting ripped off.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jayzonk

Posted June 30, 2005 - 08:53 PM

Hey, thanks for the tip! It's great on the viscosity retention issue, but it doesn't address whether using a primarily synthetic or petroleum-based product is best. Also doesn't address the moly isssue, or tell which of those products has moly in it. Does anyone know, offhand??

• justicedone

Posted June 30, 2005 - 10:05 PM

I always run a good quality full synth, and it runs much cooler than reg' oil.

Right now i am running a Penzoil Platinum full synth. I think its more important to change regularly and keep level checked constantly.

I am changing oil each 500mi, filter every 1000mi. :)

• Max Power

Posted June 30, 2005 - 10:26 PM

OIL

Posted Image

• DesertWill

Posted July 01, 2005 - 08:39 AM

http://www.eric-gorr...h_june_1999.htm

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.