Filter

19 replies to this topic
  • crfmatt

Posted June 29, 2005 - 01:26 PM

I am wondering when you guys clean your air filters what do you use for filter oil? I have always used regular motor oil with my trail bikes but ive herd with my 426 you really should use filter oil? :)

• grayracer513

Posted June 29, 2005 - 03:10 PM

Motor oil is very inferior to air filter oil, mostly because it won't stay put, and because it doesn't hold dirt as well.

Use any good, quality filter oil instead. I use Maxima FAB1 spray and work it in. The volitile carriers dry pretty quickly and leave behind a stringy, tenacious goo that is so sticky that I use it all by itself on the filter flange intsead of grease. The good oils will mostly all behave that way.

As to when to clean them, it totally depends on the environment you ride in. When it's just me and a couple of guys in the desert after it's rained, I'll go 3 rides without cleaning it. OTOH, one day at McCain Valley in the summer with a group of 8 or so, and it needs a washing right away.

• 642MX

Posted June 29, 2005 - 03:42 PM

I use Motorex filter spray oil, it seems to work fine for me.

• arel451

Posted June 29, 2005 - 05:46 PM

belray foam filter oil

• Dolce_Grappa

Posted June 29, 2005 - 06:29 PM

No-Toil here, easy clean-up, not as tacky as Bel-Ray for sure though.

• David37

Posted June 29, 2005 - 08:41 PM

Another vote for No-Toil, cleaning is easy, just wash dirty air filters with No-Toil soap and water or throw it in your washer and it will come out clean.

• crfmatt

Posted June 29, 2005 - 08:46 PM

Ok so it sounds as though mabye i should take it out (havent rode it since cleaned) and clean it again to get all the motor oil of it and then use some filter oil.

• crfmatt

Posted June 29, 2005 - 08:52 PM

or throw it in your washer and it will come out clean.

Ive never thought about doing that :) ..Does anyone else do that?

• WheelsUp

Posted June 29, 2005 - 10:57 PM

That'll only work with NoToil... maybe some other brands. NoToil is a non-petroleum based product, the cleaner is reported to be Oxy-Clean.

NoToil cleaner doesn't do ANYTHING on the factory Yamaha oil, nor for the blue flange grease that the dealer used.
I'm so frustrated at trying to clean that blue crap (dealer monkey got it all over the foam on my buddy's bike) that I'm ready to just ditch the stocker and rotate between the two TwinAir filters oiled with NoToil.

• grayracer513

Posted June 30, 2005 - 07:06 AM

Another vote for No-Toil, cleaning is easy, just wash dirty air filters with No-Toil soap and water or throw it in your washer and it will come out clean.

Ive never thought about doing that ..Does anyone else do that?

You guys aren't married, are you?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Smiticus

Posted June 30, 2005 - 11:31 AM

Another vote for No-Toil. And yes, my wife would kill me if she found my filter in the washer, :)....That's IF she found it. :)

• snow

Posted June 30, 2005 - 04:46 PM

I use Bell Ray with a filter skin clean every 2 rides

• ripntear

Posted June 30, 2005 - 04:55 PM

PJ1 Red Spray Sticky Stuff.

ripntear

• CHEEZE13

Posted June 30, 2005 - 06:06 PM

Bel Ray Foam Filter Oil, clean your filter with mineral spirits and pour the filter oil all over it work it in squeeze it out good to go. :)

• MXKyle

Posted July 01, 2005 - 04:18 AM

Ok so it sounds as though mabye i should take it out (havent rode it since cleaned) and clean it again to get all the motor oil of it and then use some filter oil.

No.

I've got 30 years of riding experience by using motor oil on my two stage foam air filters with not a single scratch in a cylinder wall because of it. I do use non-detergent motor oil because it doesn't drool off as high detergent will. I do ride at least once a week so the filters don't sit long anyway. I probably wouldn’t recommend trusting any filter that has been sitting six months since you prepped it.

I have lived in Florida all my life and ride in some sandy dusty places. My 450’s filter has been so choked with dust that the bike would start running like crap and when I washed it there would be a half inch of sand in the bottom of the cleaning tub. The inside of the filter was still quite clean when I took it out. Last month I finally got around to changing the piston and ring on my trusty 450 because after over two years I must have had 150 hours on it. The piston still looked perfect and the ring end gap was still within tolerance. I changed them anyway.

I also go through extra trouble to make sure there is the absolute least amount of oil on the filter. After loading the filter with oil I wad a couple of paper towels and put them inside the filter and wrap a couple more around the outside and squeeze to absorb all of the excess oil out of the filter. This is important if you want a consistent unrestricted airflow. Perhaps if you don’t do this step you would see some motor oil drool off the filters.

This is one rider/mechanic that will continue to use motor oil on his air filters until someone starts making a vastly different kind of filter because oil works fine for this old design. Of course you do what you want.

--KT--

• sirthumpalot

Posted July 01, 2005 - 04:37 AM

Spray filter oil is better than sliced bread. Get good filter cleaner, spray filter oil and latex gloves and you're all set. Don't use motor oil; as said above, it's not as tacky and won't catch all the dirt.

• markvan

Posted July 01, 2005 - 05:47 AM

Married? Apparently not....or if they are, their riding days may be coming to an end soon.....

• mxaction

Posted July 01, 2005 - 10:40 AM

Motor oil doesn't stay in one place as well as filter oil does. Each oil you find at your dealer/store serves its own unique purpose. I wouldn't reccomend using motor oil for anything other than lubricating your engine. It does not serve as a good chain lube, or, in this case a filter oil. Personally, I use K&N Air Filter Oil for foam filters, and it works great. Just spray it on, and the stuff is pretty tacky...and gets the filter very clean when you rinse it with soap/water. It's probably not tacky enough to use on the flange though so I just use some grease.

• My426Hauls

Posted July 02, 2005 - 07:41 AM

Hi guys, i have been using varsol to clean my air filter and i was wondering if it is bad for it? The varsol does a very good job at getting it clean but i was wondering if it would eat away at the foam??
Thanks

• WheelsUp

Posted July 02, 2005 - 11:21 AM

$20... just replace them every 6 months if you're worried about the foam deteriorating.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.