WR / YZ Timing Question

4 replies to this topic
  • dckgmiller

Posted June 29, 2005 - 11:45 AM

In reading through some of the posts, I have notice that some guys have installed switches as part of their “gray wire” mod. This allows them to easily switch between the two timing settings.

My question is, can you switch the timing setting on the fly… ie with the engine running?
I’d assume this is not desirable, but I don’t know for sure.

Thanks,
Don

• byggd

Posted June 29, 2005 - 12:01 PM

According to the Yamaha shop manual you can check your timing at the fly wheel but if it is off there is no way to adjust it. It states to check your flywheel for damage/slipping. So I would say no. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • williestreet

Posted June 29, 2005 - 02:59 PM

My understanding is the bike must be off. It looks for ground at startup so switching on the fly would make no difference.

It won't matter anyway, as soon as you try the YZF setting you won't want to go back.

John R

• jchantzWR400F

Posted June 30, 2005 - 06:17 AM

According to the Yamaha shop manual you can check your timing at the fly wheel but if it is off there is no way to adjust it. It states to check your flywheel for damage/slipping. So I would say no. :)

Did I catch a 9'er in there? Earth to byggd....come in byggd.

• byggd

Posted June 30, 2005 - 06:54 AM

Did I catch a 9'er in there? Earth to byggd....come in byggd.

Ooooops......guess I read that wrong.....thought he was asking if you could change the timing at the flywheel. Thats what I get for trying to answer these while at work :) I'll sit down and shut up now :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.