1997 XR650l CamShaft Woes

6 replies to this topic
  • chiricahua

Posted June 29, 2005 - 10:28 AM

I went on a dual sport ride a couple of weeks ago and at about the 130-mile mark I had an eerie noise start to emit from my motor.(The noise sounds like a valve ticking.[Loud] But I checked them and they are .004 and .005 which is OK per the manual.)

Looks like a possible de-compressor bearing on the camshaft blew.(Does this even have a bearing? :) Cause it's moves slightly.) Or does Centrifugal force keeps it stable? :)

Looks like when it blew a piece of something helped score one of the rocker arms and the corresponding lobe on the camshaft.

Does anyone know if I buy a Hot Cam with out the decompression system on it if it will make the electronic starting any or much harder on the starter?

Also does any one know of discount Honda parts suppliers other than BikeBandit.com or XR’s only.com and PlanetHonda.com?
Or discount sales on OEM Honda parts?

Thanks for any help or links. :D

Oh Yeah, great site. Glad to be a part of it now :D

• sportbiker929

Posted June 29, 2005 - 10:44 AM

If the engine has been run low on oil at all the cam lobes wear quickly! After you fix it, use synthetic oil.

• chiricahua

Posted June 29, 2005 - 11:12 AM

If the engine has been run low on oil at all the cam lobes wear quickly! After you fix it, use synthetic oil.

So do you think that's where the ticking is coming from? Could it be something else.

And Roger that on the cam lobes wearing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted June 29, 2005 - 01:30 PM

I've know a guy that had part of the decompressor mechanism come loose/fall off. He lost all compression. Don't know if it made noise first.

A lot have posted here about removing the decompressor not affecting the starter operation.

If you get a cam, a thing to check for is if it's a 'hard' cam- some aftermarket cams can tear up the stock rockers.

Dave

• chiricahua

Posted June 29, 2005 - 01:39 PM

I've know a guy that had part of the decompressor mechanism come loose/fall off. He lost all compression. Don't know if it made noise first.

A lot have posted here about removing the decompressor not affecting the starter operation.

If you get a cam, a thing to check for is if it's a 'hard' cam- some aftermarket cams can tear up the stock rockers.

Dave

Right Dave, I just read that if you use Hard welded cams then you need to use hard welded Rocker arms. Which can be quite expensive from what I just read.

My bike had lost a lot of compression but it runs now. I'm looking for a cam and one rocker arm to replace and then see how it runs.

Thanks for the coment. :)

• XRL_Rider

Posted June 29, 2005 - 08:31 PM

The Hot Cam for the 650L uses stock rocker arms, and I have had no problems with the electric starter, BUT I am using a pumper carb.
I replaced the stock cam at 1200 miles. If you want my old cam PM me.
If I was going through the trouble of tearing down the motor, I would go with the Hot Cam and a higher compression piston. I am running the JE 10.5+ Hot Cam stage 1 and really like the combo.

• Lake Cle Elum

Posted August 05, 2005 - 08:15 PM

If you wish to sell the stock cam, please email me at:
bob@bobseelye.com

I think I'm too new on this forum to PM you.......Thax...

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.